"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE500 L/M works but wiring differs from TCI Library

Started by recyklotron, August 15, 2012, 10:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recyklotron

Greetings,

We picked up this WE500 L/M dated to 1969 @ the flea a couple of weekends ago for $5. Wear & cosmetic issues are hopefully all that is wrong - my first attempt at sanding! It makes & receives calls & the ringer rings. However, when I checked the wiring diagram http://tinyurl.com/buoqdej
I noticed that some connections on the terminal strip are made to different points. Is this a problem?
Any help for these cracked rubber feet?

Thanks for your help.
Jonathan/recyklotron

Phonesrfun

It's probably ok if it works.  Many wiring differences are based on individual applications and are inconsequential.  However, you can't go wrong by wiring it to the diagram, but if it works, that's ok too.  It won't harm anything.
-Bill G

gpo706

"If it aint broke, don't fix it" as a wise man once said.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

poplar1

Your phone is wired correctly according to Bell System Practice #502-580-405 (Nov. 1975) despite what the diagram on TCI site shows.

When the colors of the hookswitch wires changed to solid colors, instead of slate-yellow on L2 and slate-brown on C, they now used green on L2 and white on C (as in your phone).

The TCI diagram shows a variation in the normal wiring for a 500M set where the talk circuit connected to the red and green line cord wires, and the ringer to black and yellow (terminals 3 and 4). In other words, if you connect only the red and green wires, the phone as shown in the TCI diagram would not ring.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

recyklotron

Thanks for the sage advice.   I did try to look for a BSP but couldn't find it ! Searching for the BSPs is proving rather elusive for me...

poplar1

Search for 502-580-405 on TCI website: (Sorry, I can't figure out to post the link)

Click here: Document Details | 502-580-405 I4

This BSP is also contained in the Key Systems Service Manual Volume 1. The Key System Manuals and Station Service Manuals come up for sale at phone shows and on Ebay at times.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

recyklotron

Hi poplar1,
Sorry I wasn't more clear.  I was able to find the BSP from your response. I meant that I am having difficulty finding the BSPs on my own using  search terms that I think are logical. Originally I had searched for WE500 L-M and all that came back was that first wiring diagram which prompted my question to the group. Is this a case where you have to already be familiar with BSPs or am I missing something when I do a search for them?
Thanks again for your help,
Jonathan/recyklotron

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

Quote from: recyklotron on August 17, 2012, 11:36:11 AM
I meant that I am having difficulty finding the BSPs on my own using  search terms that I think are logical. Originally I had searched for WE500 L-M and all that came back was that first wiring diagram which prompted my question to the group. Is this a case where you have to already be familiar with BSPs or am I missing something when I do a search for them?

Searching for BSPs by keyword is not the most reliable method.  The Library's keyword search depends on keywords that are identified by contributors and uploaded by administrators.

The most conservative way to search for BSPs is to hunt as you would with paper files.  The goal is to find a BSP number first, as BSPs are filed numerically in the binders.

1.  For 300/500/1500/2500/3500-series or Design Line telephone sets, try the charts on my site. (Click on the banner below this message.)  Look up the phone by model number and you should see a list of (some of) the BSPs to look for.  They may or may not be in the Library.

2. Otherwise, use the BSP index documents to search for BSPs.  There is a folder for index documents in the Library, plus you can find division index docs by searching for ddd-000-000.  For example, for telephone sets try 502-000-000 or 503-000-000.  Division codes are listed in the general index docs, such as 000-000-000.

You will find several issues for most index docs, as they were revised from time to time.  Select one closest to the date of the phone (or other equipment) you're looking for.

3.  Look up the BSP by searching for its full number.  Once again, you may get several issues, so pick the one closest to the date of interest.

This process can be a bit time consuming - especially at first, but often yields a lot of unexpected references to other interesting bits of knowledge that you'd miss otherwise.  It will also give you a good feeling for the size, scope and organization of the body of BSPs.  It was truly a staggering achievement.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

cello973

The phone in the picture is wired for 1A2 or 1A1 A-lead on the yellow black. And it should work just fine for T&R service
Vince

280Parka

Quote from: paul-f on August 17, 2012, 01:58:43 PM
Searching for BSPs by keyword is not the most reliable method.  The Library's keyword search depends on keywords that are identified by contributors and uploaded by administrators.

The most conservative way to search for BSPs is to hunt as you would with paper files.  The goal is to find a BSP number first, as BSPs are filed numerically in the binders.

1.  For 300/500/1500/2500/3500-series or Design Line telephone sets, try the charts on my site. (Click on the banner below this message.)  Look up the phone by model number and you should see a list of (some of) the BSPs to look for.  They may or may not be in the Library.

2. Otherwise, use the BSP index documents to search for BSPs.  There is a folder for index documents in the Library, plus you can find division index docs by searching for ddd-000-000.  For example, for telephone sets try 502-000-000 or 503-000-000.  Division codes are listed in the general index docs, such as 000-000-000.

You will find several issues for most index docs, as they were revised from time to time.  Select one closest to the date of the phone (or other equipment) you're looking for.

3.  Look up the BSP by searching for its full number.  Once again, you may get several issues, so pick the one closest to the date of interest.

This process can be a bit time consuming - especially at first, but often yields a lot of unexpected references to other interesting bits of knowledge that you'd miss otherwise.  It will also give you a good feeling for the size, scope and organization of the body of BSPs.  It was truly a staggering achievement.

Thanks Paul!   I have had the same problem looking through BSP's but your tips should help me get better results.  Thanks again.

paul-f

Quote from: 280Parka on June 03, 2018, 05:28:46 PM
Thanks Paul!   I have had the same problem looking through BSP's but your tips should help me get better results.  Thanks again.

You're welcome. I'm glad you found this topic.

Since the previous post, we have updated the Library's underlying software environment - which included a new search engine. The developers continue to amaze and confound us by changing the behavior of basic features, so users often need to be creative in trying several alternative searching strategies.

To help provide an alternative, years ago we added the Google site search feature. Many users are familiar with its search syntax, and it tries to look at text within documents where the scan quality is high enough. It's worth a try if the basic search feature isn't finding what you want.

We have also been gradually adding keywords and descriptive text to make basic searching more effective. For this topic, searching for 500L will now return more relevant matches than were returned when this topic was started.

markosjal

I have seen that same terminal strip on SC(?) 500 types
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

paul-f

Quote from: markosjal on June 24, 2023, 02:59:10 PMI have seen that same terminal strip on SC(?) 500 types
Not surprising.

500-type sets were made by SC and ITT under license, so are usually virtually identical to the WE sets.

Terminal strips below the dial were used for several of the variations on the basic 500D single line set -- when additional terminals were needed to provide wiring points for the added components or wiring (e.g. for the 500M, separating the ringer wiring from the usual tip and ring lines to permit individual control from the PBX or KSU).

MMikeJBenN27

That's what I was going to say - the ringer wires are at their own terminals on this version instead of at the L1 - Grnd or L2.

Mike