News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

taking a bath....and the phone rings!

Started by Babybearjs, September 14, 2012, 01:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well, I'm sure you all have experienced this....you are in the tub soaking....and the phone rings.... and you are home alone.... anyway, this has happend too many times to me and I just wanted to ask.... has anyone ever put a extention phone in their bathroom???? I have what is called a "Garden Tub", or better known as a "Roman Bathtub" and it never fails that the phone rings when I'm enjoying a nice soak.... so.... I want to put in a extention phone in by the tub so I can answer the phone if I'm in the tub.... any problems?? what do you think about this??
John

Bill Cahill

Hi. Yes, a shock hazzard. Without ring current it's 45 volts pulsating dc.
With the phone ringing it goes up over 90 volts pulsating dc.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

DavePEI

Quote from: Bill Cahill on September 14, 2012, 03:54:57 AM
Hi. Yes, a shock hazzard. Without ring current it's 45 volts pulsating dc.
With the phone ringing it goes up over 90 volts pulsating dc.
Bill Cahill

Safest way is to go with a modern cordless extension - just make sure it is mounted safely so it itself doesn't take a dunk in the tub.  As Bill said above with a vintage phone, there are voltages which could be lethal in or at the very least painful in contact with water. Cordless phones are only a few volts.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

Yes, but those modern telephones has no dial, and the ringing... :(  well, they actually don't ring at all, they are making some strange noise or music  ??? End were is the dial  ???

Try one of these:

dsk

Doug Rose

I love vintage telephones... really I do. BUT....I  have cordless phones that travel around the house and on the porch or out in the yard with me.  I also have one in the bathroom. Just needs AC for the base, no phone line needed for the expansion units ....Doug
Kidphone

paul

Floating Waterproof Cordless Phone!
http://bit.ly/OocxVN

twocvbloke

Ignore it and let the answering amchine take the call... :D

poplar1

Not sure what you mean by "pulsating DC"--talk battery is 48VDC, ringing is 90-105VAC superimposed on 48VDC. There was a pulsating DC (PC) that was used for some ringing, but this is interrupted 20 times a second; you couldn't talk over that kind of voltage.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

I've always thought that when you are impatiently waiting for a call, the best way to get them to call is to go to the bathroom or take a bath/shower.

I guess if you never want to miss a call.... don't bathe.

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bill;
How right you are. I was just on the computer for over an hour. As soon as I sat down on the pot, RING...
Here is my answer...

Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 14, 2012, 01:20:27 PM
Bill;
How right you are. I was just on the computer for over an hour. As soon as I sat down on the pot, RING...

That's what us brits refer to as "Sod's law"... :D

dpaynter1066

Just because Im a narrow minded paranoid hypechondriac optimist, I thought I'd add that a lightning strike on the lines would run in and ruin your day if you were in the tub on the phone at the time.
Just a thought. 

Babybearjs

LOL!!!! you guys are great! love the feedback! funny topic!
John

Tom B

Remember ... if its that important they will ring back later. The caller is more likely to be someone who works in an Indian call centre who's called Chuck or Cletis ;D
Tom

Dan/Panther

What happened to 'Becky', did she get fired ?
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson