News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Dial Question

Started by Doug Rose, November 11, 2018, 11:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have had this for awhile. Got it a box of dials. I have no idea what it is made of. It is a silver color and appears to be made of whatever the silver color is?? I am sending it to Steve to get working. Any ideas?.....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Can you post a closeup of the imprints on the back.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Dan....here you go. 4H?..Doug

Kidphone

Butch Harlow

It looks like a 4h to me, based on the markings. I think that's been painted, looks to be long ago. I can't think of any raw metal that appears that way. Its definitely not aluminum. The governor housing is always brass. Could it have been painted to match one of the early color sets? Is there any rust or corrosion on the inside of the dial that give any clues?
Butch Harlow

Doug Rose

This dial has NOT been painted.  A magnet sticks to it. It was never painted as the inside is the same color.  The governor is the same color, I ran a drill with a wire brush over it.  It is not painted but a magnet does not stick to it....Doug
Kidphone

Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

poplar1

4H would not have the "running board" for the pulse pawl, as seen on the front of the dial in the first photo. That was added on 5H for quieting the dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

In the past I have asked Steve H. about oddball dials. He has always had a reasonable  answer regarding the characteristics  and probable purpose of the dials.
JMO,
JimS.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

It's heading to Steve tomorrow....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on November 11, 2018, 03:04:59 PM
4H would not have the "running board" for the pulse pawl, as seen on the front of the dial in the first photo. That was added on 5H for quieting the dial.
David...any thoughts on this dial? Never been painted. Same color throughout. Magnet does stick. No vermillion. Never seen anything like it....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug  .....   You may have come across a production prototype 5H dial.    Since you checked it with a magnet, and it was attracted, then it's a ferrous material (contains iron), which means it's probably steal.      The coating however, may be aluminum.    The finger stop resembles one that I have, and it's aluminum.    The normal, or most common finger stops were nickel, but I did find "one" Western 5H with an aluminum finger stop.   They are slightly thicker than nickel.      I've also found nickel plated brass finger stops as well.   
But the dial case finish appears to be aluminum.   The aviation industry came out with a process for protecting steel parts on aircraft from corrosion.     The process was called "Ivadizer", for "Ion Vapor Deposition.    It applies aluminum to a number of different materials, steel included, and it's done in a vacuum container.      That may be the coating on your dial.    If the governor drum isn't attracted to a magnet, it may have been made out of aluminum, or it's the usual brass with a coating a of aluminum and done at the same time as the rest of the dial.
Western did try other materials in the manufacture of dials, like their experimentation with brass dial cases in 1949. 
My theory might be all "wet" here, but I thought I'd throw it out as a possibility based on the color I see on the case.

Jeff

Doug Rose

thanks Jeff....I do appreciate the insight....Doug
Kidphone

shadow67

Looking at these photos reminded me of the backside of a dial I picked up a few years ago. I have been told it would have been painted from the factory, but to me it appears not to have been. However I am by no means an expert. I found this in a basement junk room at a telephone central office I worked in a few years ago. Thoughts appreciated.

Doug Rose

I got my dial back from Steve today. It is now a working #5 as David had said.

The Dial King of Az has no idea so I guess we will never know. It is kinda cool.

All I know is I got in a group of WE dial and dial parts on eBay. I got a lot for a little, so This was an afterthought after I got the others fixed up. I think I will just display it as a completed dial....Doug
Kidphone