News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric 1965.

Started by Dan/Panther, September 19, 2008, 09:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I have an Automatic Electric, 1965, I have a slight crackling sound periodically.
In the miuthpiece cavity, there is a split grounding plate across the center where the mouthpiece rests. It is slightly bowed upwards. About how much bow should be in the plate, it seems to be the origination point of my crackling noise.
Not real Bad, just every time I talk to Bill, he complains about my lousey phone.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 19, 2008, 09:32:03 PM
I have an Automatic Electric, 1965, I have a slight crackling sound periodically.
In the miuthpiece cavity, there is a split grounding plate across the center where the mouthpiece rests. It is slightly bowed upwards. About how much bow should be in the plate, it seems to be the origination point of my crackling noise.
Not real Bad, just every time I talk to Bill, he complains about my lousey phone.

Dan/Panther

Dan, didn't I tell you not to hit the element on the corner of the table?
Jeez.....  ;D

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

benhutcherson

I just checked my AE80, and, if it's the piece I think you're talking about, it should be perfectly flat.

You might try cleaning both the strap and the button button of the receiver with sandpaper.

Dan/Panther

Ben;
I think you are right. It looks a though it should be flat.
Thanks;
Dan/Panther

Dan/Panther

I fixed  the problem !!!!
I pulled it out of service, and replaced it with my WE-500.
End of story....
D/P

TIPandRING

I can't believe you did that!!!  Disrespecting an independent (AE) and replacing it with big business (WE)!

You fix that AE and reinstall it right now mister!!

Okay, I'm being humorous. :D

Seriously though, That transmitter contact is supposed to be slightly bowed upward, that ensures good contact with the base button the transmitter capsule.

For staticaky noise, try replacing the xmitter element. Still bad? Try new caps in the network and clean the hookswitch contacts and dial contacts.

That's what worked on my AE 90 wall phone.

-Joe (die hard Automatic Electric enthusiast)