"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Imperial.

Started by AET, December 24, 2009, 10:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Nice phone, Tom!

I don't even know the difference between an "Imperial" and a WE 202, so I'm a little bit in awe of this phone and am politely envious.

Whatever it is, I like the idea of pairing your phone with a 302 for a subset. It could sort of signify the history of when Henry Dreyfuss started helping design phones for Ma Bell.

And thanks to D/P and Bingster, I learned a new word today: Rhodium.

http://www.cohler.com/index_rhodium-plating.htm
-Matt

Phonesrfun

Matt:

There is technically no difference between an Imperial and a 202, because an Imperial IS a 202:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1748.msg23313#msg23313

In the mid 50's they dusted off the old 202's sitting in some warehouse somewhere and put a nice new metallic paint job on them, and made some other cosmetic changes and came up with the Imperial.  Same thing with the Continental, except they were in designer colors rather than metallic finishes.

-Bill
-Bill G

ntophones

I'm using a 302 base with a top from Ray Kotke. It works just fine, until I ever get a true subset.
--nto

McHeath

QuoteI don't even know the difference between an "Imperial" and a WE 202, so I'm a little bit in awe of this phone and am politely envious.

The Imperial is well known for having better breeding than the lower class 202s.  Blood will tell.  Imperials have a more regal air about them, a greater appreciation for the finer things in life like caviar, Bentleys, attendance at Eton or Westminster, and savile row tailors.  It's also evidenced by their peerage and impeccable sense of noblesse oblige.

Just thought that would help.
;) ;D

Dan/Panther

McHeath;
Would that translate to arrogant, and stuck up  ??? :o
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Oh well yeah, in laymen's terms it would.   :D

AET

I look at it as kind of like caddy vs chevy.  The 202 is a Chevy, stylish, nice, and great for every day use.  The Imperial is like a Caddy.  It's essentially a Chevy, but with nicer trim, a vinyl top, and a fancy hood ornament.
- Tom