News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Program Amp?

Started by MagicMo, April 29, 2013, 12:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Is this phone related? I cannot find any info on this surfing the web. I bet someone here would know. This one stumped me.
Thanks
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

Weco355aman

Those are called a MFT ( Metalic facility termination card). They plug into a shelf at the Central office. They were used to distribute a radio station or t.v. station audio. They do not have any value other than to some one that would use them as a static display.
Phil

G-Man

It is a combined program amplifier and equalizer for high quality audio for use on leased telephone lines. The telephone company leased these channels to radio and television stations to link their studios with their transmitter sites.

Also, used to for transmission of network (ABC, NBC, CBS, Mutual etc.) program audio as well for remote broadcast such as concerts and news programs or even Muzak background music.

These particular amps look to be the last version to be offered by WECo. Infact, I would not be surprised that they are not a KS- version, indicating they were manufactured under contract by another company to Western's specifications.

Because they are a late generation solid state product, I suspect they will not garner* very much at auction. Of course that should not discourage you from listing them.

Similar amps/eq's were manufactured by Telabs, Wescom, Teltone, etc.
I will take a closer look at the photos to see if I can find the model numbers to properly indentify them.

**Disclosure**
That said, even though I disparaged their potential worth, if you list them, please let us know since I *might* have an interest in them.

MagicMo

Thanks.
Because I have so much stuff here is there anything I should look for that might go with them?
Mo
Practice Kindness :)