News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 dial timing

Started by Bingles, September 17, 2010, 12:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingles

I have an AE 40 telephone.  The dial seems noticeably fast on it.. much faster than my WE.  When I dial the zero, they go through as a 9 or don't register at all.. it's hit or miss.. sometimes it will go through as the correct number, other times it will miss dial.

It is hooked up to a bluetooth router so the phone can be used on my cell line -- so not sure of that might be where the problem lies.  My WE 302 and former WE 500 had no problems what so ever.

Phonesrfun

Rotary dials are supposed to do 10 pulses per second, which means it should take one second to dial a zero.  Fast dials are usually indicative of some oil getting into the governor, which is the part of the dial that regulates the speed.  To make matters worse, the modern-day routers for internet based phones are not at all tolerant of much in the way of either too fast or too slow dials.

A good cleaning and light lubing of the dial gear train and cleaning of the governor would be in order.  If you are not mechanically inclined, or have never tackled this, I would suggest sending your dial for cleaning to someone who can do it right, other wise it could turn into a bad experience.

Welcome to the forum!  Good to have new people here.
-Bill G

Kenny C

i finaly got the nerve to do a 1956 dial and it turned out great but it was a 7D not an AE Stub 1953 does a good job on AE dials
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

dsk

Bingles

Sorry for late answer. the dial has a set of centrifugal weights breaking, and adjusting the speed.
1 if the surface between this weights, and the drum in which they are rotating gets oily, the speed may increase. Clean with meths, and leave dry.  If the speed are still to high, you ma increase the tension of springs, by bending them carefully :P

The last option is to adjust the setup on your Xlink.

Good Luck

dsk