News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

No Dial Phones?

Started by tjmack99, November 30, 2010, 02:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmwood

Slightly off-topic: I saw a Kellogg equipment catalog from 1949, and was surprised to see they were still making new wooden wall-mounted phones, complete with a crank and a base-mounted transmitter.  How long did these last in common use?

tjmack99

I wonder what they needed to refurbish after only a month or two? At least with mine the 3 dates are within a 4 month period.

Adam

This thread has made me want to play with my manual phones again.  Here are two pics of my red 95C dial blank, and a pic of it installed in one of my red 500Ds, which is now temporarily officially a 500C.

Can't you just imagine picking up this phone and having the Premier of the Soviet Union at the other end of the line?  Or Commissioner Gordon?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

HarrySmith

Very nice Dave! You should print a dial card with the presidential seal on it, that would be cool!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Adam

Thanks!  You're right, I should.  Except, I love the number card that was actually installed on the dial blank when I got it, that you can see in the picture.  It's numbered "1-PL24174" which I assume was the non-dialable circuit designation of the tie-line "private line" the phone was installed on.  Makes it look very "military" or "official" to me...
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

HarrySmith

Yes, it does but the seal would really look cool ;D
Plus everyone who saw it would be very impressed, you can tell them it was an actual White House Hotline Phone!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tjmack99

Ok, this might be a bit too much....

jsowers

I was going to comment on this earlier, but didn't have a picture to help illustrate my point, and then masstel posted his nice red manual blank.

Have you ever noticed the number card retainer on blanks is chrome plated? Tim needs that piece to complete his black 554, along with a nice number card. Most of the retainers you see are black, from the metal dial on a 500 set or a 302. I remember Dennis mentioning that once. It's so easy to put a black one on there, but the chrome ones look nicer on blanks, to my eyes, especially on the color phones.
Jonathan

Doug Rose

Quote from: jsowers on December 01, 2010, 03:13:47 PM
I was going to comment on this earlier, but didn't have a picture to help illustrate my point, and then masstel posted his nice red manual blank.

Have you ever noticed the number card retainer on blanks is chrome plated? Tim needs that piece to complete his black 554, along with a nice number card. Most of the retainers you see are black, from the metal dial on a 500 set or a 302. I remember Dennis mentioning that once. It's so easy to put a black one on there, but the chrome ones look nicer on blanks, to my eyes, especially on the color phones.
It seems to have started with the color 302s, the dial blank retainers were chrome. It does look sharp....Doug
Kidphone

Adam

It makes perfect sense.  Black number card retainer would look wrong on a colored set.  Colored number card retainers don't exist because colored dials got clear finger wheels.  So, for colored dial blanks, they made the silver card retainer.
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

Just saw this on the big e.  I'm not an expert on UK phones, but I've never seen a modern British manual phone before.
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

gpo706

Hi Dave,

Collected a few of these blanking plates over the years, colours are ivory, grey and black, other colours very rare.

Folk seemed to "mix and match" with like an ivory body and a black plate and handset.

Some of the blanking plates I bought have a smaller than usual dial card circle, and come without an "opel" or cover, chances of finding one to fit - zip.

Of course we all know how to dial out on one of these sets, if your fingers are nimble enough.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"