"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stinky 5302, 685A subset, and 1983 Princess this weekend

Started by ChrisW6ATV, September 10, 2023, 06:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisW6ATV

Hi all-

Last month's find was this Sage 930A test set. This weekend there were two electronics flea markets nearby. On Saturday, I picked up a beige Princess phone, model CS2702BMG with the date 83055. Today, I found a grungy looking, smelly 5302 with F1 handset along with a 685A subset (with one screw mount broken on its cover). US$20 for all of these seems like a good deal.

I used the Princess phone as a good first subject to try out the Sage 930A since I recently got the right plugs for it and made some test cables. The Sage did a good job of testing the Princess's Touch-Tone keypad and making it ring nicely.

Based on the smell of the 5302 and the whitish coating on its surfaces, should I assume its housing and dial plate are Tenite? (Maybe they all are; I will go back and read more.)

I will follow up with component dates and other details once I do some cleaning of the 5302 and 685A. The 1983 Princess phone components that I checked were all matching dates, but I would not expect an '83 AT&T phone to have ever been refurbished, haha.

ChrisW6ATV

"Dial bezel", not "dial plate" on the 5302. I will learn my proper terms eventually.  :)

The 685A has a 9-61 base plate and network, and III 61 on its ringer, so it is likely all original. Lots of cleaning needed, inside and outside, on both older devices.

poplar1

Quote from: ChrisW6ATV on September 10, 2023, 06:49:16 PM"Dial bezel", not "dial plate" on the 5302. I will learn my proper terms eventually.

The plastic part surrounding the 5M or 6H dial is a "number ring" (Part #P-18A974).

The black metal plate with white dots is a "number plate" (Part #164C).

Reference: BSRS 361.358 Nov. 1972 in TCI Library
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ChrisW6ATV

Thank you for the TRUE correct part names, poplar1. I had seen the "bezel" name in another discussion of 5302s, and then I remembered that "dial plate" was the proper name for the piece behind the finger holes.

If I am correct that dial plate type 164C was only used on 5302 dials (typically swapped out during the 302->5302 conversion/refurbishment), then is it among the rarer of dial plates in general? Just a thought I had.

poplar1

Quote from: ChrisW6ATV on September 10, 2023, 11:15:22 PMThank you for the TRUE correct part names, poplar1. I had seen the "bezel" name in another discussion of 5302s, and then I remembered that "dial plate" was the proper name for the piece behind the finger holes.

If I am correct that dial plate type 164C was only used on 5302 dials (typically swapped out during the 302->5302 conversion/refurbishment), then is it among the rarer of dial plates in general? Just a thought I had.

164C (or 164C-3 to indicate black) Number plate, not "dial plate."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ChrisW6ATV

Number plate, thank you (again!).

I cleaned up the 685A, just dust inside. It rings nicely from the Sage ringer test, next I should connect it to the 211 I have that needs a subset and test them as a team. I cleaned the paint splatter from all over its cover, it looks acceptable now at least (but still needs repair to the screw holder area).

ChrisW6ATV

The 5302 has a ringer dated III 49 and the base was from late '49 as well. F1 transmitter from 11/48 and HA1 receiver from 6/55. The new housing is from 11/57.

Once I had the housing and base separated, I realized it is a relatively complex project to get the housing and dial bezel free from the other components for a good cleaning, so that may wait a while.

MMikeJBenN27

Tenite, the "soft" plastic, does indeed smell - like stale cheese.

Mike

ChrisW6ATV

I have completed restoration work on the 5302 phone, except that I want to repaint its finger wheel eventually. I disassembled the phone other than the base components, then I cleaned the housing and number ring and treated them lightly with a bleach mix to minimize future odor/mildew problems. Next, I disassembled, cleaned, relubricated, and calibrated the 6H dial with TelePlay's nice dial guides and my Sage 930A dial tests. I replaced its D6AA mounting cord with a D3BK that I picked up at last weekend's phone show here in northern California. Now, it talks, listens, dials, and rings very nicely! I may put it on my kitchen counter, unless I decide to put a Princess phone there instead.

ChrisW6ATV

One problem with the phone, it is missing a foot and the screw that attaches it; a stick-on round felt pad is in its place. I need to put an ad in the Wanted section here for a 302/5302 foot now.