News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Which dial for Federal 802A-1

Started by poplar1, July 20, 2013, 10:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

I found a non-dial Federal Telephone and Radio Corporation phone. It is marked "FTR 802A-1 Telephone." It is Bakelite and roughly the shape of a 302.

It has a dial blank. What kind of dial is used on this phone? The mounting holes are at the 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock position. There are also holes at 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock position.

The schematic shows the typical AE style contacts: 2 for dial pulse + 3 normally open shunt contacts. The notes are in English, French and Spanish.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

The dial has a metal fingerwheel with the holes in the fingerwheel arranged somewhat like an AE dial.A similar dial is found on some "Standard" telephones manufactured in several countries.You should find photos of this set on this web site,A dial with standard US mounting holes would most likely not fit

LarryInMichigan

I have the same phone here.  I used the FTR dial from a North Signal Corps phone for it.  A standard North American dial will not have mounting holes in the correct places, and the Dutch Standard dial was not quite right.

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

I just got a Federal Crank Phone on eBay for $19:
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

G-Man

Attached-

ITT - Federal -FTR 802-Series Telephone Sets
[/i]

From the TCI Library

G-Man

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 24, 2013, 10:41:00 PM
I just got a Federal Crank Phone on eBay for $19:

Actually it is a FTR 804 Magneto Telephone Instead.

G-Man

QuoteI found a non-dial Federal Telephone and Radio Corporation phone. It is marked "FTR 802A-1 Telephone." It is Bakelite and roughly the shape of a 302.

I believe the FTR 802A-1 instruments were a manual version manufactured for the Bell System.

WEBellSystemChristian

The phone came today, says 801BB under the shell, and 801A on the Magneto.
Christian Petterson

G-Man

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 27, 2013, 05:10:06 PM
The phone came today, says 801BB under the shell, and 801A on the Magneto.

Where, specifically is it stamped?

Are you referring to a molding in the shell or is it stamped elsewhere?

What is stamped onto the base?

As shown in the Bell System Practices, the Federal 801 is a common battery telephone so please take a photo of the telephone you are referring to so we can make sure. 

G-Man

Does it look like the one in the attached photo or is it a standard desk set with a spacer between the base-plate and the upper-housing to allow for a magneto?

QuoteWhere, specifically is it stamped?

Are you referring to a molding in the shell or is it stamped elsewhere?

What is stamped onto the base?

As shown in the Bell System Practices, the Federal 801 is a common battery telephone so please take a photo of the telephone you are referring to so we can make sure. 

G-Man

Since your telephone is apparently not an 802 model, you should have started another thread for it.

In any event, here is a snip from the FTR catalog showing the 804 model...

WEBellSystemChristian

Ok, here are the pictures:
Christian Petterson

G-Man

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 27, 2013, 06:32:33 PM
Ok, here are the pictures:

Interesting that this is marked as a 801BB when all of the others are shown as 804 models.

C-105 induction coil and GN-138-type magneto as was used in WWII EE-8 Army field telephones.

This was typical of the 804 sets though some were supplied with MC-131 ringers instead of the Western Electric B-type ringer that this one was shown with.

These sets were often supplied to Western Electric/Bell System with a mishmash of Federal/Western Electric handsets and parts.

The capacitor was not supplied original to the set and the connecting cable was certainly not used by the telephone company either.

WEBellSystemChristian

The finish on the phone is flat black, but I read on a different website (and on the forum) that these phones had a wrinkle finish. I want to know which one I should use when I repaint it.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

The ringer is dated 5-1945, which would explain the WWII type Magneto. The handset is definitely not an WE F1, and is a Federal handset. This was built the same month Germany surrendered.
Christian Petterson