"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USPS Shenanigans

Started by Sargeguy, May 14, 2013, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on July 16, 2015, 09:21:23 PM
Maybe just a degaussing coil will do the trick.

Yes, good advice, indeed.

The package seems to be in a field of its own as delivered. Left image is of a compass set to magnetic north. The 4 images to the right are just moving the compass around the sides of the package placed where the north compass sat. My VCR tape degausser cleaned it up nicely, degaussed it quickly. Now if I can only get rid of the "glow in the dark" properties, I may get around to opening the package.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Oh no!   Opa Locka Part II, the sequel.

Ordered an item from a seller in Fort Lauderdale and when checking the tracking, was extremely disappointed to see the package is now in OPA LOCKA. It has now been sitting there, somewhere, for more than a day. I was hoping to get it before Christmas but that is deeply in doubt now. Well, on the good side, it may never again need a battery to work and I'll always be able to find it in the dark.

Buzby

I too now have a package that seems to be stuck in the Opa Locka triangle.

Waited in all morning thinking that the delivery date was what it was supposed today.

wds

I have the same problem here in Columbus Ohio.  If I see zip code 43218 - which is the zip code for the main Post Office for Columbus - I can automatically add about 3 days to the delivery time.  If the package hits any other zip code in Columbus I get it the same or next day.  I would surely like to know why packages seem to sit at certain zip codes.  You have to think that USPS knows that certain post offices have problems, so why don't they fix them?
Dave

Babybearjs

I ordered a SD card reader with USB ports and it came smashed beyond repair. it was BOTH the vendors fault and the Post Offices.... poor packaging and bad equipment!
John

TelePlay

Quote from: Buzby on December 11, 2015, 08:58:26 AM

As an update, my parcel is still in the Opa Locka post office, for at least another day.

Also, a member sent this photo taken on a street as an example of what goes on inside the walls of the sorting center, most of the time.

Buzby

Quote from: TelePlay on December 11, 2015, 07:41:34 PM
Quote from: Buzby on December 11, 2015, 08:58:26 AM

As an update, my parcel is still in the Opa Locka post office, for at least another day.

Also, a member sent this photo taken on a street as an example of what goes on inside the walls of the sorting center, most of the time.

Since posting, mine has suddenly materialised in Providence. It may turn up tomorrow.

I've no time to order myself a hazmat suit.

TelePlay

Quote from: Buzby on December 11, 2015, 08:52:48 PM
Since posting, mine has suddenly materialised in Providence. It may turn up tomorrow.

You are indeed fortunate. My USPS tracking shows it should be delivered tomorrow. Seeing that it's still in Florida, I doubt it will be in my Wisconsin mail box anytime soon. My Opa Locka trials and tribulations continue . . .

Buzby

Quote from: TelePlay on December 11, 2015, 09:51:16 PM
You are indeed fortunate. My USPS tracking shows it should be delivered tomorrow. Seeing that it's still in Florida, I doubt it will be in my Wisconsin mail box anytime soon. My Opa Locka trials and tribulations continue . . .

Don't fret, John. You'll find out that your parcel arrived a week before you ordered it, and there's nothing strange going on in Opa Locka.

andre_janew

Are you saying he'll suddenly find something he didn't know he had at his home?

TelePlay

Quote from: Buzby on December 11, 2015, 10:47:29 PM
Don't fret, John. You'll find out that your parcel arrived a week before you ordered it, and there's nothing strange going on in Opa Locka.

Not fretting, just staring stark reality straight in the eye. It won't be here today. The only thing better that my last experience with Opa Locka is that the first one was a parcel shipped from New York south to Opa Locka, 2 days, where it sat for 14 days until it headed back north to Wisconsin, another 2 days and then a day for delivery. That would be 2+14+2+1 or 19 days from seller shipping to my mail box.  Order was place on June 25th, took seller 2 days to package it and then 2 days to get it to the post office. Or, 22 days from placing my order to having the item in my hands, thanks to a lazy seller, a USPS misdirect and who knows what in OL, Florida.

Had the USPS shipped it from New York directly to Wisconsin, it would have been 3 days. I may not get this package until next year if history repeats itself.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9429.msg152080#msg152080

It took so long including almost cancelling the order that I went to a CA seller of the same item 14 days after placing the "lost" order, order the same item and had it in my hands 4 days before the OL routed package showed up, so, now I have two of them.   >:(

Deja vu, all over again . . .    It's still in Opa Locka.

DavePEI

Quote from: andre_janew on December 12, 2015, 03:14:01 PM
Are you saying he'll suddenly find something he didn't know he had at his home?
Don't worry - he will find it. It is just stuck in another dimension!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Ah, here's the problem. The Opa Locka Post Office is a TARDIS! From the outside, it seems to be a small 10,000 sq ft cracker box incapable of handling even small amounts of mail but on the inside it's so big everything gets lost in its black hole.

Makes sense to put such a unique post office on the corner of Aladdin Street and Ali Baba Avenue, in, of course, wonderful downtown Opa Locka.

jsowers

Quote from: TelePlay on December 12, 2015, 04:07:51 PM
Makes sense to put such a unique post office on the corner of Aladdin Street and Ali Baba Avenue, in, of course, wonderful downtown Opa Locka.

There's a documentary about these four Bible salesmen called "Salesman" made in 1968 and they go to Florida and one of them drives through Opa Locka and can't find the street his sales prospect is on, and he keeps going by the streets you mentioned above and never finds his destination.  :)  I laughed when I saw it and couldn't believe I was seeing the same Opa Locka of the wayward packages, but it was. One of the streets was even named Sesame Street. So it's been a sort of Bermuda Triangle there for quite some time.

Here's a link to the entire movie and the Opa Locka part starts at 43:50 into the movie. It's not very politically correct, but it's pretty funny what happens to him. He goes back to the motel and complains to his fellow salesmen.

"Salesman"

EDIT: fixed link url code
Jonathan