News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

‘Gold’ GPO 162

Started by FABphones, July 01, 2020, 09:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This appears to have sold for a whopping £750.

I doubt it's paintwork originality. Would Siemens really have sprayed the underside so badly - with the feet and screws already in place to catch that paint? To my mind too many paint issues to be factory, inc translucent towards end of ear cap and at top of cradle ears where contact is less frequent (and the spraycan could easily miss).  :-\

Perhaps the sprayer could be contacted, after all, they do appear to have left their thumbprint in the paint.  :o

Interested to hear your thoughts as of course I could be wrong, in which case I stand to learn.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RB

Well, if that is factory, they did a pretty bad prep job :(

tubaman

It does look genuine to me. All of the photos of other examples I have seen were in similar shape. I imagine the underside of the base just caught some over-spray from the painting process.
From - https://www.britishtelephones.com/t162.htm
"A GPO publication in 1931 showing, in colour, the full Telephone 162 range had pictures of telephones with dummy dials in black, ivory, silver (painted), jade green, old gold (painted) and walnut.  The walnut colour was only in production for 4 years. It was introduced in December 1930 and discontinued in October 1934.  Also in October 1934 a Chinese red 162 appeared as a standard colour for the first time."
:)

FABphones

Thanks for the input tubaman.  :)

The originals had a lacquer finish. Can anyone tell, is that lacquer?

From the link:
'..The blending of colours stocked might be Ivory, Mahogany, Old Gold (or Statuary Bronze) and Oxidised silver.  The last two are lacquer finishes..'

Ignoring the paint on the feet, to spray the base it would be separated, and the screws would not be in situ.

Just curious, and good to learn.

This photo of another from the Internet. Text with it states '1931 GPO 162 (King George V Phone) on display at the Museum of London'.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

The first time I saw a "Statuary Bronze" WE phone I thought it was something that was spray painted also but they are factory. There are also "Old Gold" WE painted phones that are similar. Here is one topic on one of them:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16963.msg175011#msg175011

There are many other topics here on these colors. Also on different models such as a 302. A search for either color name brings up a few.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

I have seen black WE phones painted Ivory then gold.
These were WE 5300, 500 type sets. They appeared to be from the WE shops or special order.
There are B1's and D1's that seem factory gold spray paint.
There was a fad when some older women liked to spray-paint everything gold.
Things to consider,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.