News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Opinions needed on dial swap

Started by bingster, November 23, 2009, 01:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

I've finally got back to a project that's been sitting idle for a while.  As mentioned in the painting results thread, I'm stripping a very chippy D1/E1, and repainting it in ivory.  I'll post progress of the painting in that thread, but I need advice on what to do about a dial.

The phone originally had no dial, and naturally, I want one.  I have a handful of spares, and I'd like some opinions on which one YOU would install.  The dial case would need to be painted,  and even though the 4J/5J/6J dials had white dial cases, I'm going to paint it ivory to match because A) early metallic sets had matching metallic dial cases so there's some precedence for matching cases, and B) I don't have white paint and don't feel like going out to get some. :P

So here's the lineup of the spare 3" dials I have:

6A - 7/55
5H - 1/50
5H - 10/45
5H - II-41
4H - R12/41

The 4H started out as a #2, and apparently became a 4H in 1941.  I also have a 5L that I'm not using because I don't like it.  My own thought is that I prefer the action of the 4, it being much smoother and effortless than the #5 dials I have.  But I'm not sure I want to pain the case of a #4. On the other hand, since it's already a mongrel dial, what could it hurt. ???

Any thoughts?
= DARRIN =

ntophones

Bingster,
I love my D1/E1 with the 4H dial. It seems to really set the phone in the time period. I know it will be work for you, but, I think if it were me, I'd go with that one. The results are wonderful!
--nto

Phonesrfun

The #4 would be the of the correct time period, so I guess I would use that one.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Number four it is, then.  I was leaning that way, but wanted some sort of confirmation that painting a 4 wouldn't be sacrilege.  Thanks, guys.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, I know it's kinda late, but I vote for the #4 as well.  (I've been away for a few days and have some catching up to do.)