News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 set help!!

Started by Doug Rose, October 02, 2013, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet has a friend with a fully dated 9/55 500 set. Dead. I was elected to fix it. Brought dial tone to it and nada. Owner said he moved a few wireds around. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Phone has sentimental value....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

It's usually easier to use the "mock procedure"--compare it with a known good 500-- than to search for a wiring diagram...that's what Greg, one of our techs called it when he looked at an already installed apparatus to see how to wire his.

Here's one way to troubleshoot a NDT (no dial tone) on this 500:

1. You say there is no dial tone. Does the ringer work? If not, then the mounting cord (line cord) may be open.

2. The only 2 switch hook wires that are moveable on 500s of this era are the slate (L2) and slate-white (F). All others are soldered to the 425B network; so, it's doubtful that your friend moved those. I can't tell from the photo if they have been reversed. The slate-white wire is the one with spots on it.

3.You could bypass the dial pulsing contacts by moving the *slate-white* switch hook lead from F to RR. If that doesn't work, try connecting a jumper wire from L1 to RR.

4. Still no dial tone? Bypass the other line switch contacts by temporarily shorting L2 and C. The input to the network is RR (Tip) and C (Ring); the output is GN (rec), B (transmitter), and R (one transmitter wire and one receiver wire.)

5.If ever you have faint dial tone, try removing either white dial wire; these are in parallel with the receiver wires on GN and R. (Unfortunately, you can't remove the red or black switch hook leads which are soldered to GN and R, but you can make sure these contacts open when the phone is off hook. They are also the first to make when hanging up.)

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

southernphoneman

doug, before moving any wires around I would try a different power cord that you know works sometimes that is all it takes, not all cords are created equal and they might appear better than what they are also it appears to be wired properly, Gregg

twocvbloke

G-Man

Quote from: southernphoneman on October 03, 2013, 06:33:56 PM
doug, before moving any wires around I would try a different power cord that you know works sometimes that is all it takes, not all cords are created equal and they might appear better than what they are also it appears to be wired properly, Gregg

I believe popular1 has already addressed diagnosing whether the power (a.k.a. line) cord is working by advising Doug to check if the ringer is working or not.

Doug Rose

Quote from: G-Man on October 03, 2013, 06:42:40 PM
Quote from: southernphoneman on October 03, 2013, 06:33:56 PM

I believe popular1 has already addressed diagnosing whether the power (a.k.a. line) cord is working by advising Doug to check if the ringer is working or not.
It will have to be this weekend, but I did bring dial tone to the coil; still being dead and did bring DT to the handset cord and the handset is operational....thanks for all your help..Doug
Kidphone

Bill Cahill

To me it looks like a couple of wires are reversed. The corner wire terminal should be two red wires. One from bell, other from line. Second terminal next to it should be green.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HowardPgh

I never had one of these that didn't work.
For my 2c, check the dial pulse contacts to see that they are closed when the dial is at rest. 
If it doesn't work after all the advice given here, you may have a bad network.
Howard