News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Connecting RJ11 to 3 wires?

Started by axil, March 06, 2016, 08:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axil

Hi I have one of those hide a phones in a box and upon crimping a new rj11 to the cord I noticed there is only 3 wires.
Normally there is 4 but this only has a red, green and yellow. Can someone tell me which 2 I should center to the rj11? I believe red is one but not sure of the other one.(see photo)
thx in advance

Southernphoneman

Quote from: axil on March 06, 2016, 08:12:16 PM
Hi I have one of those hide a phones in a box and upon crimping a new rj11 to the cord I noticed there is only 3 wires.
Normally there is 4 but this only has a red, green and yellow. Can someone tell me which 2 I should center to the rj11? I believe red is one but not sure of the other one.(see photo)
thx in advance
Red and green should be centered in the middle inside 2 of the RJ-11.

axil

Quote from: Southernphoneman on March 06, 2016, 08:18:16 PM
Quote from: axil on March 06, 2016, 08:12:16 PM
thx in advance
Red and green should be centered in the middle inside 2 of the RJ-11.
thx ive only got 2 rj11's left so I dont want waste them. thx again

axil

while im on this subject I was wondering where you guys order your rj11's from? I noticed on ebay you can get 50 for $2.00 from china. Although I would rather another alternative. thx

Phonesrfun

If you are in the US, you can get them from Radio Shack, Home Depot and Lowes all at retail, but still pretty inexpensive. 
-Bill G

axil

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 06, 2016, 09:25:45 PM
If you are in the US, you can get them from Radio Shack, Home Depot and Lowes all at retail, but still pretty inexpensive. 
i'm in bc canada and the home depot here doesnt carry them. All I can find here retail is the full modular cable.

AE_Collector

Lower Mainland? I am in Coquitlam and have WAY TOO MANY of them though I think many of mine are full 6 pin plugs. BC Tel used lots of those 3 conductor flat cords.

Terry

axil

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 06, 2016, 09:51:21 PM
Lower Mainland? I am in Coquitlam and have WAY TOO MANY of them though I think many of mine are full 6 pin plugs. BC Tel used lots of those 3 conductor flat cords.

Terry
im in penticton and the ones ive been using are the 4 pin plugs. They actually came with the crimper I bought from canadian tire store here. a pack of 6.

AE_Collector

The plugs for phone cords (not handset cords) are all 6P (6 Position) but commonly come in 2C, 4C and 6C (2, 4 & 6 Conductor) so you have 6P4C plugs. I have some of them but seem to have loads of the 6P6C plugs which work fine on any cords as long as your crimper drives in all 6 pins.

If the plugs from China for $2 include shipping I would give them a try, not much to lose as long as shipping isn't $15. Otherwise I can send you some in an envelope presumably. Do you come by this way very often? I am right by the Port Mann bridge in Coquitlam so right on your way if you are heading for "the Big Smoke" one day!

What is on the other end (the telephone) of that cord? :)

Terry

axil

thx terry i will keep your offer in mind.  The ones on ebay actually include shipping so for a $1.96 for 50 why not?
Regarding the phone it is one of those hide-a-phone's and your right they have BC TEL logos on them, I actually have 2 of them which I picked up at garage sales for next to nothing. They are practically in new condition with the only flaw being the broken pin on the rj11 which as you know is very common. Here's a couple of pics although blurry.
thx dave

AE_Collector

Chestphones. Made by DecoTel I think. 1970's & 80's.

These and the plastic Candlesticks and the Cradlephones were offered by BC Tel and likely all Canadian Telco's originally as "Sale of Shell" phones. Subscribers were not yet allowed to own their own phones but could purchase these "shells" and rent by the month what was called the "Network Addressing Components", the electrical parts of the phone.

Eventually once everything was deregulated and customers could own their own phones they gave or sold the rest if the phone to customers so they no longer had to pay the monthly rent. Many of these phones in BC had a bright yellow sticker on the base identifying it as a Sale of Shell phone.

Terry

axil

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 07, 2016, 01:13:48 AM
Chestphones. Made by DecoTel I think. 1970's & 80's.

These and the plastic Candlesticks and the Cradlephones were offered by BC Tel and likely all Canadian Telco's originally as "Sale of Shell" phones. Subscribers were not yet allowed to own their own phones but could purchase these "shells" and rent by the month what was called the "Network Addressing Components", the electrical parts of the phone.

Eventually once everything was deregulated and customers could own their own phones they gave or sold the rest if the phone to customers so they no longer had to pay the monthly rent. Many of these phones in BC had a bright yellow sticker on the base identifying it as a Sale of Shell phone.

Terry

Interesting! I'm curious as to why they used the term "sale of shell"? Was this a legal loophole?

AE_Collector

Just identifying that while it looked like you had just bought a phone you had really only bought the shell or housing of the phone and the electrical parts still belonged to the telephone company.

BC Tel had its Phone Mart stores where people coukd now pick up their new phones and take them home to plug into their recently installed phone jacks. There were conversion crews that went to homes to convert tge okd screw terminal blocks to jacks when a Phone Mart store opened in the area. Remember that there weren't many places if any to obtain phones then other than the Phone Mart.

Terry

axil

cool im originally from out east and I kind of remember Bell doing something similar. I just dont recall seeing these chestphones. Seems like a novelty type phone to me.

AE_Collector

Everyone had black rented phones and then coloured rental phones came along from the Telco's and next came more Stylish rental phones like Princess/Starlite and Trimline/Styleline. Then other manufacturers got into the game creating what I usually heard referred to as Decorator Phones such as these Chest Phones. Then deregulation came along and here we are today with our old phones or one can buy new "Garbage Phones"!

Terry