News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring Diagram for replica phone?

Started by axil, April 10, 2016, 01:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axil

Hi I have this replica shell phone from the 70's 80's. Problem is the wiring for the dial and line in are not hooked up. Also the wire colors are different from the other rotary phones. The terminal has the clips where you insert the spades in.

The colors from the dial are: blue - red - yellow - white

the colors from line in are: black - red - white - white

I cant find who made this phone but I know BC Tel issued. The only number I can find is R0522709

thx in advance
dave

dsk

That is a tough one.
Often dial pulse contacts are blue and red, the other ones may short out the receiver, or even the entire network.

I may see a few letters on the PCB, and R use to be common for receiver and transmitter. The B use to be the other transmitter wire, and GN should be to the other receiver wire.  etc. etc. 

We will need much more info to be able to help.  Lots of pictures, do you have something to measure electric values?  ????????

dsk   

axil

thx here's a couple more pics, one of most of the dial and one overall and sorry I do not have any meters etc to measure values.

dsk

Now we know a little more. The dial seems to be AE so the yellow will go to the line, and the rest are shorting out receiver and voice circuit.

The network looks like Western Electric and I guess you may look up a diagram for a princess, and try it out.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/cat_view/92-wiring-diagrams-technical-library/142-western-electric/326-princess

dsk

axil

thx for your help. Im having trouble matching the diagram to this phone but will keep at it!
dave

unbeldi

Is that an ITT board ?
I think I have parts of that, at least the ringer looks identical and I think it was made by ITT.

It should actually be pretty simple to trace the wires on this and wire it up.
You have to trace them first, because there is no guarantee anything is still connected as originally envisioned.
But those terminal designation should be a good guide.

I think this is the ITT equivalent to a Western Electric 581A telephone base.  Those were used to make custom decorator phones, of which the subscriber owned the housing, but had to lease the guts.

axil

not seeing ITT anywhere although I found the date 79. And your spot on as to the type of phone it is. The guts being owned by the phone company and shell being a decorator phone.

dsk

dsk

I like challenges like this, but a picture of the phone (as a phone), and eventually markings on bottom plate will probably make someone recognize your phone.

The diagram for your phone will probably be something like AE 90A, Printed Circuit Network. Found at  http://tinyurl.com/hkpq3ld

You may even get some help here.  ITT 55-427-119 i1 8410--Model 181427 Network.pdf

dsk

rdelius

AE_Collector

Quote from: axil on April 10, 2016, 01:16:06 PM

dave

I was going to say...the dial wire colours seem to be AE but the subsequent pictures confirmed that.

Of course the wires you call the "line wires" are actually the handset wires. The line cord looks to be intact and still connected to the network.

It must be one of the ATC desk cradle sets. BC Tel initially offered these cradle phones, the chest phone and the plastic candlesticks as Sale of Shell phones before complete deregulation of telephone ownership. Each of these different models was offered in several versions and/or colours. I cant recall the model number of these cradle sets or even their exact name but I have one here somewhere. It likely would have the exact same components as yours as it was a BC Tel version as well.

Terry

andre_janew

I think it would be easier to identify if a picture was posted with it all put together.  As for me, I'm just curious as to what it looks like all put together!

axil

Quote from: rdelius on April 11, 2016, 11:18:50 AM
That is a Northern Telecom network
I believe you are correct! I have actually had one of these before and I vaguely remember seeing an NT sticker on the bottom. But I never had to open it up.  The number on the bottom of the plate is actually P0522709 which I posted incorrectly earlier.
I just can't find anything in the TCI library matching this.

axil

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 11, 2016, 12:04:04 PM
Quote from: axil on April 10, 2016, 01:16:06 PM

dave

I was going to say...the dial wire colours seem to be AE but the subsequent pictures confirmed that.

Of course the wires you call the "line wires" are actually the handset wires. The line cord looks to be intact and still connected to the network

I'm sorry Terry you are correct! It's actually the handset wires!

axil

here's a pic of the phone: