News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Oxford Gray (code 52) 12/55 500 came home with me today

Started by baldopeacock, October 03, 2010, 07:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

You clearly got suckered on this phone, in fact I feel so bad for you that I'll take this eyesore off your hands and even pay the postage. ;) ;)

A real gem here, even in the blurry pics it's clear that this is a keeper.  You did good.

baldopeacock

Better pics today including under the hood.  The sunburn on the plastic is pretty apparent in the sunlight.   She needs to be sanded.  I may take a shot at some of that tomorrow.

bingster

You might think about a soak in chlorine bleach, or a thorough scrubbing with scouring cleanser followed by polishing, before resorting to something as drastic as sanding.
= DARRIN =

Dan

I'd only touch a phone that rare and valuable with Novus 2 and F-21 turtle wax.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

baldopeacock

I've been afraid of a chlorine soak.   Saw an ivory 302 cap get destroyed doing that, it broke the plastic down badly.   Soft plastic's OK to soak in chlorine bleach?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on October 09, 2010, 07:37:40 PM
I'd only touch a phone that rare and valuable with Novus 2 and F-21 turtle wax.

I agree with Dan. It is a very nice looking phone as it is. It is not bad enough to require drastic measures.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

baldopeacock

Quote from: McHeath on October 06, 2010, 12:05:58 AM
You clearly got suckered on this phone, in fact I feel so bad for you that I'll take this eyesore off your hands and even pay the postage. ;) ;)

A real gem here, even in the blurry pics it's clear that this is a keeper.  You did good.

I sorta feel bad for the guy who sold it to me thinking it was Moss Green, but he said he was the expert.

KeithB

Quote from: baldopeacock on October 09, 2010, 07:46:13 PMI sorta feel bad for the guy who sold it to me thinking it was Moss Green, but he said he was the expert.
Well, sometimes you just have to live with knowing someone's that much more of an expert than you.
Life can be SO tough, sometimes.  ;D

Jim Stettler

Quote from: baldopeacock on October 09, 2010, 07:46:13 PM
Quote from: McHeath on October 06, 2010, 12:05:58 AM

I sorta feel bad for the guy who sold it to me thinking it was Moss Green, but he said he was the expert.

I know a guy who bought a black 500 from a church sale for $3.00.
When he got it out to the parking lot he realized it was Mahogany Brown.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

I wish.
Last may I bought a 557 switchboard. I offered him $100.00 he held out for $150.00 I accepted.
As we were poking around in the storage unit he pulled out a brown 544 (4 button keyset) 2/56.
I asked him the price and he just gave it to me since I went the $150 on the switchboard.
It needs a transmitter element and FW. I still haven't done anything with it.

Jim
You live, You learn,

baldopeacock

Quote from: KeithB on October 09, 2010, 08:43:09 PM
Quote from: baldopeacock on October 09, 2010, 07:46:13 PMI sorta feel bad for the guy who sold it to me thinking it was Moss Green, but he said he was the expert.
Well, sometimes you just have to live with knowing someone's that much more of an expert than you.
Life can be SO tough, sometimes.  ;D

It is kind of ironic that I am a relative newbie to this and don't think for a minute that I know much, but I did recognize Oxford Gray when I saw it, but he didn't.  And I was not about to argue with him.

JorgeAmely

It is a beauty. I hope you enjoy it for years to come. I would try Novus 3 and then Novus 2 to remove that yellow on the housing. It looks like the handset is OK.
Jorge

baldopeacock

Before taking on the Oxford Gray, today I thought I'd try my hand on the Light Gray 3/59 500 that has some moderate yellowing, also.   

I don't have Novus products on hand, but I do have a bottle of Meguiar's PlastX plastic polish for cleaning yellowed ABS headlights.   It seems to cut right through the yellowing on the soft plastic case.   Resulting finish needs a final polish to bring the gloss back up.

Anyone else tried that stuff (or similar) to clean yellowed phone plastics?   

Jorge's bleach soak tip is working on the handset caps, they're looking much better.