News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - December 2011

Started by AE_Collector, December 02, 2011, 12:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month December 2011

LarryinMichigan's 102-B1 with E1 Handset and 2HB dial for $38 including shipping
8 (42.1%)
Russ Kirk's Northern Electric Call Director/SpeakerPhone NE-630QA3 12-70 $19.20
5 (26.3%)
Russ Kirk's Bell Telephone Manufacturing Company two box wall crank phone $60
1 (5.3%)
Liteamorn's 202/E1, AE50 & 1959 black 500 P/U found under the Christmas Tree
3 (15.8%)
HarrySmith's WE 3 slot with backboard and subset found on Craigslist for only $40
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

AE_Collector

Post your "Finds of the Month" for December 2011 Here.

"Finds of the Month" are items that you acquired this month that you are particulatly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find one for your collection or the exceptional "deal" you got on its price etc.

Terry

AE_Collector

How about LarryinMichigan's 102-B1 with E1 Handset and 2HB dial for $38 incl shipping?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5929.msg70851#msg70851

Terry

Dan/Panther

I woulda had 2 votes but I voted for Stockdale.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Russ Kirk

I would like to submit one of my newest acquisitions for the December find of the Month. (I have two - lucky me!)

It is a Northern Electric Call Director - model NE-630QA3 12-70, all dates match. It came with 3 paper faceplates,  two saying Northern Electric and one with the bell logo.  One cool thing about the 18 button call director, instead of the third row of buttons it has a speakerphone built-in.

I picked it up at a local antiques store for $24 minus 20% (booth sale)= $19.80. Woo Hoo! I grabbed it right away!

It is in great shape and I think it is NOS.  It has a a couple minor scratches, probably from poor storage,  but nothing I cannot polish out.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Russ Kirk

This is my second submission for a great find this month.

It is a Bell Telephone Manufacturing Company two box wall crank phone. 

I don't know much about it and cannot find much data.

I was for sale at a local second store - they got it in a storage auction sale. They wanted !$150 for it - ouch!

It was missing the switchhook pile-up, cover for the receiver and a bolt for the transmitter arm. The receiver and transmitter were newer. It has a tag inside dated 11-1-55,  so I thought it was refurbished in 1955.  The magneto looked old,  a single bar and very small.  I suspected it was a frankenphone,  but had to research more. It really intrigued me.  I went home and found and identical one on eBay,  so I had a better feeling it was not a frankenphone.  Maybe it is a real BTMC  from 1955?

After much ducission with the seller I noted to them the flaws and settled on $60. I thought if i got ripped off it was not much to lose.  Oh well,  I now have another project phone.

So,  what do you think?  Did I do well?  I welcome all comments - good and bad.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dan/Panther

For $60.00 you should go to jail for stealing.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

Quote from: Russ Kirk on December 16, 2011, 12:59:01 PM
It is a Northern Electric Call Director - model NE-630QA3 12-70, all dates match. It came with 3 paper faceplates,  two saying Northern Electric and one with the bell logo.  One cool thing about the 18 button call director, instead of the third row of buttons it has a speakerphone built-in.

We probably all have stories of phones that in hind site we wish we had made more effort to acquire. The Call Director / Speakerphone you just snagged is one of my missed opportunities. We were changing out a whole office full of NE Call Directors with the new (at the time) NE Logic 10 or 20 phones. The Call Directors were all run of the mill except that one was a speakerphone like yours. We wound of recovering the take-outs (sent them back to our stores for rehab, disposal or whatever). Ever since then I have wondered what I was thinking when I let that one go as I NEVER saw another one. In my defense I was new on the "Key Crew" and didn't realise that it was a rare phone.

Oh, it was a white one by the way and I don't recall it being discolored at all. Either it was quite new or it may have been painted white by our shops I guess. Still wish I had it.....

Terry

Dave F

Quote from: Russ Kirk on December 16, 2011, 12:59:01 PM
I would like to submit one of my newest acquisitions for the December find of the Month. (I have two - lucky me!)

I picked it up at a local antiques store for $24 minus 20% (booth sale)= $19.80. Woo Hoo! I grabbed it right away!

It is in great shape and I think it is NOS.  It has a a couple minor scratches, probably from poor storage,  but nothing I cannot polish out.
Congrats on this one.  It's very rare, and definitely a winner!

Dave

liteamorn

I don't know if "found" under the Christmas tree counts but I would like to nominate the 202 (E1 handset), AE50 and last but not least my 1959 dated black mushroom (500 P/U) given to me by my wonderful girlfriend.

AE_Collector

Okay, we are pretty "easy going" around here. I guess "Found under the Christmas Tree" is legitimate! Usually we want price and details but it's Christmas so we will include it and see what happens.

Terry

rdelius

The BTM wall set is a frankinphone.All wood is origional.The arm and hook and rec did not come with this telephone.Had a bakelite cradle and handset on top.Still not a bad find for the price. Phoneco assembled these.
Robby

HarrySmith

OK, I have had this a couple of weeks but have not gotten around to posting it. A WE payphone picked up off Craigslist for only $40.00! Advertised for $75.00, I offered $20.00, he countered with $50.00 and we settled at $40.00. I think it was a good deal. This is my first payphone. Appears to be on the original mounting board and has a ringer box attached, I have not tried to open it as I am trying to find a key. I am in need of a coin vault & door also.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

Paul Vaverchak at PT Supply should be able to help you with parts
Robby

Sargeguy

Can you remove the phone from the backboard?  If so you can unscrew the bolt from the back.  There is a guy in CA who specializes in these locks and I think he can re-key them for you. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

At long last the Dec 2011 Find of the Month is ready for your vote. Sorry for the delay, I must have got caught up in the holidays and sort of forgot about it!

Happy 2012 everyone and good luck with those Telephone Finds this year.

Terry