News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 1950 RCA Victor 16" television Family set replacement.

Started by Bill Cahill, February 16, 2009, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Very well done indeed.  Your skills are impressive.

Bill Cahill

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 13, 2009, 11:59:38 AM
Bill, what you've done with that TV amazes me.  I don't know anything about working on TV's and radios, but I do not it isn't easy.  Congratulations on your family television set.  You should be proud!

Thanks, Dennis, and, Bingster. Actually, radios are too simple. Nothing to 'em.
I needed to work on tv's to get something more challenging to do.
Besides, I fell in love with tv's first.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

Still having audio problems. Have more volume, but, still very weak.
Further, it appears one of my new Chinese electrolytics may be failing. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
TV is still playing, though.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

:(  Well, set's down again.....

Yesterday I put it back together in cabinet. Had it working on it's own picture tube for almost two hours. I was doing adjustments, and, activating the crummy hd box.
I was still having an issue of some horizontal fold over in the picture, so, I decided to try another correct horizontal output tube. I put tube in, brought set up on variac. Just as I was approaching correct line voltage,  I got a very loud hum out of speaker, a loud grunt out of the power transformer, and a very loud pop out of the chassis. Set died.

This morning I checked tubes for shorts, there were none.
Yes, Dan, the horizontal output tube I put in is the same 6BG6.
I'm going to have to repair my water dammaged capacitor checker. It was caught in a house flood several years back.
I suspect my new Chinese electrolytics shorted out.
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Bill Cahill

HobieSport

Darn!  And it was going so well! I really admire your perseverance and skill, Bill.  I'm electronically challenged so TVs and radios are way beyond my capacitors.  Er...capacities.  I wouldn't be surprised though if the problem is related to parts made in China... >:(

My daughter in law is (was) Chinese, works for Sony, and tries to avoid parts made in China at all costs. :D

Bill Cahill

Put set together last week. Was adjusting it in the cabinet on it's own pix tube.
Still had horiz. fold over. I changed horiz. output tube.
As I stated getting variac near operational voltage, I suddenly got a very loud hum out of speaker, a power transformer grunt, and, a loud pop.
Back to square one.
I'll take it back apart.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Took tv back apart today, and, started to re examine the chassis. So far, nothing outstanding.
Next step, try it on the bench.
Bill Cahill

AET

- Tom

Bill Cahill

Strange as we are, us Cahills are known not to be quiters.
I'll get it playing again, and, finnish other repairs.
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

I bought some NOS 6BG6 G tubes from two sources on ebay. It's official. I now have to pay more for two of this common tv tube than I do for 4 6V6 audio tubes!!!
What's wrong here????
They brag it's able to put out twenty watts of audio.
They neglect to tell you that in order to get that You have to have about 600 volts on the plate, and, that the amperage draw on that tube is high.
Bill Cahill   :(

Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

And, now this....