News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first princess phone...

Started by Sargeguy, January 04, 2009, 11:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I solved the dial discoloration problem by taking the dial apart and flipping the white insert over so that the stained side was downward.  Unfortunately I unwound the spring in the process.  How many turns do you make to rewind the spring?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Greg, I've never taken one of those dials apart.  I usually turn the older dials two turns.  Good luck.

Sargeguy

Thanks.  I have another dial that I can swap in if needed, but I'd rather not delve into the wiring on the Princess if I can avoid it.

I put the dial back together and it stops about 3/4 of the way around when I attempt to dial.  Suggestions?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

I'm lost when it comes to dial issues. 

Sargeguy

I think I solved the problem.  You have to make sure the thingamajig is oriented correctly before you put the whatchamacallit back on.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

BDM

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 10, 2009, 01:36:38 AMwhatchamacallit

Man I have "those" all over the place here ;D What are they? :-X
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Sargeguy

I found a solution to the cord problem:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270325250987&_trksid=p2759.l1259

I bought an "ivory" phone with white cords which I will swap with my white phone with "ivory" cords.  Although that wont work for the line cords.  Still, I am a sucker for a phone with a round Bell System plug.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Some telephone collectors collect those round plugs (they have a number that I can never remember.  The older square ones are 283B plugs), trying to get one in each color made.  There are quite a few different colors.

I've added a couple photos of a few that I have.  I don't run into them as often as the 283B's because I generally buy the older phones.  I do have a Avocado Priness with a green one of these rounds on it.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Thanks Bingster....I'm going to try and remember that.  I have one (not shown) that has the Bell Logo on the front but instead of says Bell System Not For Sale on the back side, like shown it is just plain.  Maybe a later production??

McHeath

I have one of these round plugs with thin horizontal lines on the face as part of the design.  What's ironic in little burg is that you can still buy an adaptor to plug into a four prong wall socket that will allow you to plug in a modular line cord, but not vice-versa.  I guess that's cuz more old homes are in use than old phones. 

Sargeguy

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 10, 2009, 11:53:31 AM
I found a solution to the cord problem:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270325250987&_trksid=p2759.l1259

I bought an "ivory" phone with white cords which I will swap with my white phone with "ivory" cords.  Although that wont work for the line cords.  Still, I am a sucker for a phone with a round Bell System plug.

I just got the phone today and it is a piece of junk.  What I thought was a paint stain on the "original plug" is actually a melt mark that goes halfway through the plug.  The only useful piece is the white mounting cord.  He also tagged $5 on to the actual shipping cost.  I may have to go negative on this seller.  I hate it when people waste my time.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Negotiate with him.  Maybe you can get some of your $$$ back.  I've found most sellers would rather give you a partial refund than get negative feedback.  That looks like one of those listings where the "rules" are longer than the item description.