News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northen Electric phone add-on - 1035 Adjunct Dial

Started by Combat, August 27, 2012, 09:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combat

Hello all, new poster here...  I'll post an introduction later.

In the mean time,  I am hoping some of you can help me identify what this is.. and hopefully, how to connect it to POTS (if its possible).

It's the weird green button box added on to this NE500.  It has a northern electric part number printed on the bottom (NE-1035B30AX)

All the bell assembly has been removed from the NE500, and there is a new bell assembly in the button box..

It was retrofitted on, I can tell by how its wired in.  I can see marks from where the bells were removed, and extra wires capped off...  Seems like a lot of work to convert a rotary to touch like this..

Anyways, enough rambling.   Take a look, and help me solve this puzzle.

DavePEI

Nice:

I will have to try to find one of those for the museum!

To connect to a POTS line, connect the line to L1 and L2 on  the network. Same as any 500 set. The ancilliary TT pad won't change this.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

Combat,

The 1035 adjunct dialer normally does not contain a ringer, just a Touch-Tone dial and a polarity guard.

It was used with rotary phones if you had phone service from a central office (or pbx) that supported only rotary phones, but once connected you could use the Touch-Tone for end-to-end signaling, such as to enter account numbers.

Search for  501-164-130 I12 at http://telephonecollectors.info/  website--Figure 13 gives connections to a 500 set.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Combat

Thank you for helping me identify this.  Much appreciated.  I will attempt to connect it to POTS tonight.  This will make a great addition to my office,.  While I love my rotary phones, 10 digit dialing makes it a pain to use as a business phone.  This is a perfect compromise.

I will post the rest of my collection later on, which isn't extensive by anymeans.. Mostly Northern Electric desk and wall phones.

Combat

..another quick question about this.   Does it have any worth?  Not that I want to get rid of it, I just like to know what I got.

Originally it was the 500 set that caught my eye, since it is in immaculate condition (except for the handset).. I have another like it, so figured I could combine the two to make a nice shiiny phone..  It wasnt until i picked it up that I noticed the dial box.  All in, it cost me 20 bucks at Goodwill.

HowardPgh

I think it is an unusual 500 set as there is no "Operator" at the 0 on the dial or the keypad.
Howard
Howard

poplar1

Since Canada is officially bilingual, they would have needed to write "Téléphoniste" as well as operator; therefore it was easier to leave it blank.

DavePEI

Quote from: HowardPgh on August 28, 2012, 02:19:04 PM
I think it is an unusual 500 set as there is no "Operator" at the 0 on the dial or the keypad.
Howard
Quite expected on a Northern Electric 500 set. Operator was dropped from the Canadian phones destined to be used in Canada due to official language laws which passed many years ago now. Export models continued to include Operator on the dials. I forget the exact year. Much easier than putting Operator/Opérateur on the phones. These laws required that both official languages be represented where there were labels.

NE would have been subject to heavy Federal penalties had they continued distributing phones with the Operator on the dial in Canada after these laws passed.

Prior to the laws passing, NE did distribute their dials here with operator on them.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

The last 5 that sold on Ebay (dial adjunct only) sold for between $46 and $169.

(Searching for "1035 Western Electric" under completed items)

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on August 28, 2012, 02:44:14 PM
The last 5 that sold on Ebay (dial adjunct only) sold for between $46 and $169.

Click here: 1035 Western Electric | eBay
Wow! Guess it will be a long while before I can afford one for the museum  :)
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

They sometimes show up cheap at hamfests and radio collector shows.

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on August 28, 2012, 02:50:42 PM
They sometimes show up cheap at hamfests and radio collector shows.
Any time I have gone to our local Hamfest, only bare TT dials have been available for adding autopatch to VHF rigs. In fact, I have a file on my site showing how to add TT to  DT-75s. Back in the 89s, I used to use one before I had the money to buy a REAL 2 mtr rig. Alas, because of my disabilities, I can't travel to the phone shows... Some day, I will find one.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Combat

Interesting...  I've always been in to older phones, more for their build quality than collectibility.. after doing some reading on the site here today, I am eager to get home and have a look at my other phones..

I have a Northern Electric wall hanger phone, that is hardwired in to PSTN with a metal hangar, 12 bucks...  I love the old NE and NT stuff because they are built like a tank and its rare to see anything with a "made in canada" stamp..

Quite happy to hear the Adjunt Dial is indeed a rarity for NE..

DavePEI..  perhaps in time there could be a trade we can work out... for now, its going on my desk..

as a professional photographer, I make a living off things that look neat... and this is definately neat.

DavePEI

Quote from: Combat on August 28, 2012, 03:03:29 PM
DavePEI..  perhaps in time there could be a trade we can work out... for now, its going on my desk.
No, I wasn't suggesting you do that.

But I was hoping it would catch the attention of someone else who had the NE-1035B30AX pad that might be willing to let it go for a reasonable price. It used to be that they sold for $10-15 but of course back then, I never thought to get one - there was always something more important to find for the displays. Really what I would like to find would simply be the pad and case. I have tons of 500 sets I could put it on.

There probably aren't that many left - most people who wanted touch tone would upgrade to a 2500 set, unless they were stuck on a PBX which would only accept dial input until they were connected to the telephone company lines which supported TT.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Combat

I dont think this thing was ever wired in to the 500 set properly.. not sure what the deal is.. the 500 set is a 1981, with the bells ripped out, and there are bells in the adjunct box.. its strange.. I was able to wire it up, but the rotary dial isnt working, just the DTMF...  its as if everything is in the box, except for the hook switch and handset....  I dont get it.

the phone is pretty much worthless without this box, I suppose it could stand alone, but without the ability to hear it ring, and I would need to sit down with a wiring diagram to get the roto working again.  Or perhaps I will attempt to connect it to one of my other complete 500 sets...

All it does for me right now is look neat,  but the rotary on my desk is now fake, and I dont like that...

Perhaps you and I can work something out, I am only in to it for 20 bucks...  I am not a true collector, I just like neat things...  perhaps you have a redundant old phone kicking about (other than a 500) that you would consider trading...  Think about it, this isnt going anywhere in the mean time.

Cheers,
Combat.