"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green Continental?....Opinion?

Started by Pourme, December 01, 2016, 07:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Pourme

Most everything about this phone is among the best I have ever had on any phone I have ever had the privilege to own. Looking at the rest of the B1's & D1's....& 302's...it is only the second one that the "1" is very plainly visible on the dial. It simply wasn't used much at all.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Sargeguy

NOS Continentals are fairly common, more so than any other WE phone I think.  I've owned a couple over the years.  I think customers saw through the lame attempt to foist off 25 year-old equipment with shiny paint jobs-they wanted the 500s (or at least the 5302s).  As a result many of these sat on shelves in stock rooms after they were refurbished until rescued from oblivion by a telco employee years later.  I purchased a red one from a guy who had several.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Pourme

That makes sense, Sargeguy. This may be one of those. That would explain the condition.

Now, I'd like to find a Peking Red version. I see the Continentals and Imperials as occupying a uneque position in the history of Western Electric phone production history.
Benny

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 02, 2016, 09:00:38 PM
NOS Continentals are fairly common,
Yes, to you and me and other "seasoned" collectors. To newer collectors I think these are another "sleeper" phone. They are cool, available at a good price,  and  will hold their current "cash" value.

JMJO,
JimS.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

As a new collector, building my collection, these are a must have for me.

I don't have a desire to own 10 of each version, but I would like to have one of each.
Benny

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Pourme on December 02, 2016, 09:47:48 PM
As a new collector, building my collection, these are a must have for me.

I don't have a desire to own 10 of each version, but I would like to have one of each.

Try for 2-3 of each, that way you have trade material as you complete the collection. I think these are a good investment, and like any art, buy what you enjoy. Don't worry about future value. Your payoff is current enjoyment
JMO,
JimS.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

Quote from: Jim S. on December 02, 2016, 10:13:59 PM
Try for 2-3 of each, that way you have trade material as you complete the collection. I think these are a good investment, and like any art, buy what you enjoy. Don't worry about future value. Your payoff is current enjoyment
JMO,
JimS.

I like the way you think, Jim!
Benny

Dan/Panther

Could it be an Old Phone Works restoration ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 03, 2016, 01:40:30 PM
Could it be an Old Phone Works restoration ?
D/P
No, OPW isn't this accurate to a WE refurb.

Definitely looks factory to me.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford