News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How Do You Extract drilled out lower payphone lock?

Started by RotoTech99, July 11, 2015, 10:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

On a GTE 120B I am working on, I have unfortunately had to drill out the lower case lock that also locks the coin vault door in place...

What tools are best for extracting the "left-overs of the lock"  so hopefully the latch bolt holding the coin vault door will release?

As best I can tell, the cylinder core is left, and the bolt holding the coin vault door latched... Would some kind of tap that could be threaded into the remaining core work to extract that?

Also, had one "OOPS" moment... I know my 120B has the coin box now... I accidentally drilled a hole in it boring the lock out.

Advice and tips welcomed.

Ktownphoneco

I worked a number of years with a locksmith firm, but beyond the fact that the lock is probably a lever tumbler lock, I have no way of knowing that positively.   It sounds like you've drilled out the "plug".    The plug is the part that you insert the key into, and which turns with the key.    The key does 2 things when you turn it.       Using the correct key, aligns the various levers inside the lock, allowing the bolt to move past them.      Secondly the key contacts the bolt itself (usually) and moves the bolt to the locked or unlocked position.     I'm not familiar with the locks used on the vault doors on GTE 120B coin collectors, but if I were you, I'd contact ..... "Jody Haralson" in California.    He's a locksmith, and he repairs and makes keys for payphone vault locks and such.   Locksmiths, in addition to repairing locks, are also trained to defeat them.    For a locksmith, knowing how to defeat locks is almost as important to know repair them.
Haralson can be reached through his web site at :  Haralson Enterprises, 855-PAY-JODY, or, 626-219-4006,  Haralsonlock@aol.com, Payphonelockrepair.com.

If anyone can point you in the right direction, it'd be him.

Jeff Lamb

Dan F

I am somewhat familiar with the locks they used on the 120. They used 2 different locks. one was an abloy which can not be drilled out the disks will just spin in the case. the other is a Medico lock which uses pin tumbler and a side bar system which makes it difficult to drill out as well. By drilling out the lock you will only ruin the lower housing.

The best I can suggest is to sacrifice the vault door by cutting a slot about 1 1/2 inches long centered on the left side edge about 1/2 inch from the left edge of the door about 1 1/4 inches deep. This will cut the locking lever that holds the bolts closed.

Take the 719A tool and then rotate the bolt to the right. tip the phone in the right side to use gravity to let the remaining bolt parts to fall out of place. I have done this several times.

Replacement vault doors can be had on ebay for under $20

dsk

Abloy locks are pretty easy to drill open, if you know how. It is described somewere on this forum.
dsk