News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

voltage to test a ringer

Started by trainman, February 15, 2009, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

ok, still can't get the ringer from my AE 802 to riing. I checked each individual coil using `12v dc and I can get them to maganatise. I sispect the capacitor, although my cap tester says it's good. Using a Eico 950, and testing it like I would a capacitor from a radio. Using the paper cap setting, and applying 500v dc shows minimal leakage. Tag on cpacitor says to test with 1000v dc.

I've tried even reversing the polarity of the ringer connections and no go. I simply moved the black ringer wire that was connected to ground, to the green wire inside the ohone. If reversing the poarity doesn' work,then I'lltry the red wire.

But, what voltage can I use to test the ringer and capacitor seperatly from the phone?WHat voltage does it ring on in service?

If anyone was following my last thread, I can now get the phone to dial out without hanging up. It works, and also will get incoming calls, but no ringer as of yet.

Thanks.

Tony

Bill

I think that the ring voltage is nominally 90 VAC, at about 20 Hz. My guess (though I haven't tried it) is that it would ring on 90 VAC at 60 cycles, so if you can borrow a Variac, you could test it without the capacitor.

When you say you can't get it to ring, how are you testing it? Connect it to a normal phone line and wait for someone to call?

Bill

trainman

Well, I ohmned out the coils. Cheked ok for continuity, but still may be shorted. Checked capacitor with old radio service grade capacitor checker. also found my magneto, but I can only get 30v out of it. But, I was able to get the bells to tap by loosning the spring. But it is so loose, it will end up falling off. It wants to ring when there is a incoming call now, but i can't get the spring adjusted to the point it is not loose and falling off before it will ring. Maybe one or both of the coils are partially shorted.

I'll post a picture of the ringer, but it is from a late  rotary AE 802.   Maybe someone else has advise or maybe factory adjustment instructions for it.

Steve K

Bill is correct that the standard ring voltage is 90 volts RMS at 20 cycles.  I very much doubt that your ringer coils are shorted or that the capacitor is bad.  AE phones were often used in rural areas that had party lines so perhaps your ringer is set up for a different frequency (there is another thread on this forum that explains all of that).  Did you try using a ring-back number to ring your own line?  Can you use a cell phone to call yourself?

Steve

trainman

how can i ring my own line? no cell. need friends to keep calling.

Steve K

It varies from location to location.  Some places have a ring-back number.  Here in my area of southern California we just dial our own number.  When a beep tone is heard the hookswitch is flashed and then hung up.  Then the phone rings.

trainman

no where on this ringer is there a stamp indicating frequency of ringer. I'm assuming it is for regular usage.

bingster

Does the clapper at the end of the rod look like a little tapper type deal, or does it look like a big weight?
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Steve K on February 15, 2009, 07:20:57 PM
It varies from location to location.  Some places have a ring-back number.  Here in my area of southern California we just dial our own number.  When a beep tone is heard the hookswitch is flashed and then hung up.  Then the phone rings.

Steve;
Were are you located in So. Cal ? We used to use 1158, but that doesn't work anymore. I used to live in Santa Ana, but now live near Temecula.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Steve K

D/P

I'm in Thousand Oaks.  That has been the way to ring back our phones since I moved here 18 years ago.

Steve

Dennis Markham

Thousand Oaks....home of George Lee "Sparky" Anderson.  One-time manager of our 1984 World Champion Detroit Tigers....I think.

Steve K

Yes Dennis, that's correct.  I used to see him from time to time in the nearby drug store!

BDM

Quote from: Steve K on February 16, 2009, 09:27:35 PM
Yes Dennis, that's correct.  I used to see him from time to time in the nearby drug store!

I've heard that before about Sparky. He was a regular guy. Would strut into local stores and the like. People would catch him everywhere.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

He's a hero around here still.  He comes back every summer for a charity golf tournament that he started.  When he's here the local news stations always interview him.  He seems to be the genuine article.

I remember standing in line after the World Series win in 1984 to buy a copy of his book and get his autograph.  He wrote his memoirs of the wire-to-wire season (the team was never out of first place) including a sweep of the Kansas City Royals in the play-offs and then beating the Padres in five games.