News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 ringer not working

Started by mienaichizu, February 26, 2009, 01:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

I recently acquired a WE 500 (4-65 all matching dates), i tested it but the ringer doesn't works. I checked the network and connected the black wire of the ringer to L1 but still it doesn't work. Anyone encountered a problem like this? can anyone help me? thanks!

Dennis Markham

If you can, show us a photo of how it's connected.  Are you getting any movement out of it at all?  Is it connected to a system that supports the ringing of the phones? (I'm sure it is but will ask that anyway).  Have you tried moving the bias tension spring?  I have encountered some bad ringers but they're rare.  Some are weak but usually they all work somewhat.

mienaichizu

there's no movement at all at the ringer, I also tried moving the bias tension spring but still no effect

ok I'll post some pics of the network soon

mienaichizu

hi Dennis, here's the photo of the network connection, hope this would work

Dennis Markham

A quick look appears that the red wire from the ringer is on with the black wire (and green from line cord).  Put the red wire with red line cord wire on the corner of the network.  (Red on L2, Green on L1.  They can't be together).  Or am I seeing things??

bingster

It's a little difficult to trace wiring in a photo, but it appears that there are a few other misplaced wires, besides the ones that Dennis mentioned.  Try to trace your wires and put them in place according to this diagram:

http://telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/500cd.pdf

Go about it one "part" at a time.  In other words, trace each of the four handset cord conductors, then move on to the dial conductors and trace them.  Trace the ringer conductors on at a time, and then the mounting (wall) cord conductors.
= DARRIN =

bingster

I don't know if this will help, but here's a photo you can try to go by:

[Image of older network removed]
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, sometimes those newer phones confuse me and don't look right because they didn't solder wires to some terminals like on yours.  So it looks like there's too many wires or wires in the wrong place.  But that still may be the case here.  I like it much more with the older networks where the switch wires were soldered to the terminals.

bingster

Ahhh... See, that's where you expertise counts.  I didn't even notice the lack of soldered conductors.  I just saw extra conductors.  I'm removing the photo to avoid confusion.
= DARRIN =

Dan

Copy this picture, this has helped me numerous times. Your red wires are definately askew....

http://www.porticus.org/bell/images/500ringerrewiring.jpg

Dennis nailed the problem on post 4.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

mienaichizu

it works! it works! thanks guys!

Dennis Markham

I wish they were all that easy.  Glad your phone is working.