News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

MORE projects...AE86 intercom conversions

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, September 06, 2016, 07:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Yep, to add to the mountain of outrageous phone projects I'm working on, I'm adding these two to the mix!

It looks like these are both AE86s--one Dawn Gray, the other Classic Ivory--that were turned into Terryphone intercoms. Here comes the outrageous part...I'm gonna try bringing them back to factory shape.

The irritating part is the replaced handset and chassis on each phone, basically rendering everything except the housings and button mechs unusable.

I suspect finding some stripped type 86 chassis shouldn't be too hard, and Ivory parts should be easy, but those Dawn Gray parts will be a challenge. I assume a Dawn Gray 86 is pretty rare, correct? This housing has clear plungers, so I would guess they're late '60s? ???

For $37, I think I got a pretty good deal.

Better start asking these questions now...anybody have a couple AE keyset chassis to sell?

www.ebay.com/itm/191955807089
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jim Stettler

I would leave them alone. The Terryphones are a lot harder to find and an interesting variation.
Just my opinion,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

jsowers

Are you positive the one on the right is all ivory? It looks like beige with an ivory handset to me. Is that button on the handset push to talk?
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Jim;

I dunno, to me the Terryphones seem sort of cheap. They were once brand new type 86s, no matter how much of them is original.

Jonathan;

Yes, it looks like they are G-style handsets with that push-to-talk feature that quite a few Terryphones seem to have.

As for the color, here's Sand Beige from another topic. Sure, different lighting affects color, but it still looks different. Even the seller (Ron Knappen I believe) says it's Beige, so you could be right.
Christian Petterson

Babybearjs

good luck converting them. I was going to snatch them up when they were on Ebay, but passed.... If all the original guts are inside, them changing them back should be no problem... But, I'd probably leave them as-is and wire them into my intercom line.... neat variation of the #86A   worked on plenty of them back in the day....
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 07, 2016, 08:55:47 AM
Jim;

I dunno, to me the Terryphones seem sort of cheap. They were once brand new type 86s, no matter how much of them is original.

They may of never been type 86. Many time the 3rd party companies would order only  the components they needed. Why disassemble a phone and throw away parts of it when it was probably cheaper to order the parts you  need.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, that was quick...

Apparently they were delivered an hour or so ago. I guess it helps that Phoneco is in Wisconsin... ;D
Christian Petterson