News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bonfire night lanterns...

Started by twocvbloke, November 06, 2017, 03:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Given that it was Bonfire night last night, I had three of my lanterns set up to provide a bit of ambience, so I took a few photos here and there, though not that great given my current phone camera isn't that great in low light conditions... :)

TelePlay

Very nice.

Is that fire a hole in the ground, a cut off drum or something else?

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on November 06, 2017, 04:22:14 AMIs that fire a hole in the ground, a cut off drum or something else?

It's a hole in the ground, dug out just for this purpose yesterday afternoon (back's aching today!!)... :)

twocvbloke

Finished editing up the video footage I took yesterday, showing where I made the bonfire hole, as well as the occasional lantern shot, but mostly looking at someone else's fireworks display... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD7vybAmkbg

andy1702

Bonfire night is always a good excuse to get the lamps out!
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

Any night where a fire is lit in the garden is perfect for the lanterns, I've had mine out there a few times on dark nights with a fire going (an upturned metal bin lid and three bricks makes for a great little fire bowl!!), it's just yesterday was the first time I'd actually had a bonfire on bonfire night myself... ;D

TelePlay

Forgive my ignorance on this side of the pond but what exactly is "Bonfire Night" over there?

BTW: I've known some people to use large, old deep truck or tractor tire rims found in junk yards as above surface fire pits. They are somewhat hard to find today due to the price of scrap metal paid at salvage yards,  but make a nice, protected pit about 2 to 2.5 feet in diameter.No digging required . . .  ;)

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on November 06, 2017, 03:01:29 PM
Forgive my ignorance on this side of the pond but what exactly is "Bonfire Night" over there?

It originally celebrated the foiling of the so-called "gunpowder plot" to blow up parliament on the 5th November 1605, these days it's just an excuse to burn stuff and set off small explosives... ;D

A slightly more comprehensive explanation here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

AL_as_needed

Lanterns and mead.... a nice classy fall combination.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Well, it was the Mead or some pink fizzy wine (which has been sat waiting for consumption for over 5 years!!), and the mother didn't want to part with the latter... ;D