"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 183 Spacemaker Disassembly & Reassembly

Started by Greg G., September 24, 2009, 03:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 28, 2009, 10:52:29 PM

If you unwired the wires from the dial itself, check to make sure that is back the way it should be.  If in doubt, don't hesitate to ask.

-Bill

Thankfully I did not do that since I wasn't brave enough to attempt a dial overhaul.  It rotated and returned ok w/o any funny noises.  I'm a firm believer in the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  I only took off the finger wheel parts to clean them.

That extra part is plastic, I think.  Thanks for the easy to follow wiring instructions.  I'll try it again on Monday.  In the mean time, here's a before and after pic.  It ain't a "finlover" phone, but this is as good as it's going to get, other than a little more polishing of the cradle and maybe the handset.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay,  How about that 183 ? Did you get it going? Let us know.
                Phone looks good!!!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Didn't get time to mess with it on Monday.  Sometime in the next few days.  I'll keep you posted.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Success!  The line wires were on the wrong posts.  When I moved them, I still wasn't getting a dial tone.  That could possibly mean I just can't hear it, i.e. the receiver wasn't working.  So to test my theory, I dialed my cell, and it rang!  (I did that same test the last time and it didn't ring).  

Took the receiver off and discovered that the doo-dad that it sits on was out of place and had crawled down into the hollow of the handset.  I wasn't sure exactly how it was supposed to be situated in the receiver cup, (Why, out of 2 dozen other pics, did I NOT take a picture of it?!) but I took my best guess, and apparently the receiver and the cap are what really holds it in place.

Ok, it works, fine.  Now I just need to get a proper line cord and a ringer box.  At this rate, I should have the other 20 some phones I have done around the year 2058.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay, Glad you got it fixed!!!!
                 No need to rush ,  one at a time.  If we fix all of them we won't have anything to work on.   Good job Briny!!!       stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

Brinybay,

The receiver cup should look like this, I think.  This is a picture from an early AE80 handset.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 04, 2009, 09:13:42 AM
Brinybay,

The receiver cup should look like this, I think.  This is a picture from an early AE80 handset.

Larry

I guessed right then, thanks!
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Brinybay;
That's a piece of Mica insulation, used for electrical or heat insulation, in the case of the phone for electrical isolation most likely, where it goes I don't know.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on November 29, 2009, 04:32:14 AM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 28, 2009, 10:52:29 PM

If you unwired the wires from the dial itself, check to make sure that is back the way it should be.  If in doubt, don't hesitate to ask.

-Bill

I'm a firm believer in the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I generally follow the "fix it till it's broke" philosophy.
I will agree your sentiment makes better sense.
JimS
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.