News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Danish Kristian Kirk phone hook switch Removal

Started by RDPipes, November 05, 2022, 11:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I received a Kristian Kirk phone a while back and while trying to restore it I ran into a hitch.
I'm in the process of stripping the shell down so I can sand and buff it but, the switch hook and buttons
look to be permanently installed into the shell. No screws or nuts, looks like the brass eyelets that the
switch hook buttons ride in are rivets (the two screws you see only hold the leaf contacts together and don't go through to the shell). Not ever working on one these I'm not really sure if that's right or not.
Maybe there's another way to remove it? Any info would be a great help to me.

tubaman

I've just taken a look at my one and I think you are right that the handle is held with rivets so I don't think you can take that off.
What you can do is remove the two terminal blocks and then the contact set screws which I think will then at least allow the buttons to drop through the holes.
Not perfect I agree but I can't see any other way.

RDPipes

Quote from: tubaman on November 05, 2022, 11:53:08 AMI've just taken a look at my one and I think you are right that the handle is held with rivets so I don't think you can take that off.
What you can do is remove the two terminal blocks and then the contact set screws which I think will then at least allow the buttons to drop through the holes.
Not perfect I agree but I can't see any other way.

Well, removing the buttons alone won't do me much good as I wanted to remove the grab handle to have easy access to the underneath. I do appreciate you checking yours out for a solution sir but, disassembly of the leaf contacts is a little more trouble then its worth I think, at least for me. Thank you again sir!

countryman

The phone looks too nice and well kept "as is" to risk anything in cleaning operations.

RDPipes

Quote from: countryman on November 05, 2022, 03:41:33 PMThe phone looks too nice and well kept "as is" to risk anything in cleaning operations.

No risks are taken sir, we'll just have to work around it.
The shell and handset are well oxidized and need a cleaning and a good polishing
to be presentable. In my opinion, if it don't look close to new it aint good enough.

RDPipes

Well, I think it came out rather well considering I had to hand polish around the grab handle. 

FABphones

Wow. Absolutely gorgeous result. Good work.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on November 07, 2022, 04:18:11 PMWow. Absolutely gorgeous result. Good work.

Thank you CJ and you can't even see the big chip I repaired on the front right corner............in the photos, LOL!
It is hardly noticeable but there.

tubaman

RDPipes

LarryInMichigan

Your phone looks great, much better than mine.

After seeing your pictures, I decided to give mine a quick polish with Greygate paste.

I bought mine many years ago, and I don't think that I managed to remove the handle either.  The construction of this phone is overly complicated.  The dial on mine makes a horrible squeaking sound when turned, and my attempts at quieting it with oil have failed.  I am afraid to dismantle the dial.  Also, the brass finger wheel cover tends to slice into my fingertips when I dial.

Larry

RDPipes

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 09, 2022, 08:52:48 AM...I decided to give mine a quick polish with Greygate paste.

...the brass finger wheel cover tends to slice into my fingertips when I dial.

Looking good Larry, I think I'd take the brass finger wheel cover off and sand the finger holes to take the edge off them. I'd hate to get a cut from just dialing.
I don't know what Greygate paste is but, I polish Bakelite the old fashion way, sanding it to 1000 or 2000 depending on its condition and then rouge and a high speed buffer. It's really a pain but, I know of no other way to get the same results.
Wish I had the brass rings for the handset like yours though.