Main Menu

QAR-GLAYZE Wood & Bakelite Polish

Started by Doug Rose, February 06, 2022, 10:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Etienne

BTMC with wrong (ATEA) handset.
I checked Fabphone's link and do not think this ever existed before it was modified by decorators. Looks like a multiline phone with the upper part reversed to sit a bell box instead of the switches, as multiline phones were likely to have no built-in bells. The bellbox clearly is designed to be screwed on a wall, on the link the cords come out on an unusual side, and as the phone is based on a BTMC 2712 which has built-in bells, this particular model would not have made sense at all back in the 1930's- besides, the phone are not the same length, Doug's is shorter. Do you have inside pictures to see how it is attached?

Doug Rose

Last month in Maine I saw one. Copper was not nice and it was missing a gong and a little wobbly....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

I love this kind of stuff...

I placed a order.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Quote from: Pourme on March 10, 2022, 06:30:22 PM
~

I love this kind of stuff...

I placed a order.
Benny I was pleasantly surprised. Bottle is small but so far I have done 15 phones, a little goes a long way...Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

You caught my attention with the North. I too have a North that refuses to give me the luster I believe it could. I'll let you know!
Benny

Doug Rose

Has anyone else tried this?

Usually copper starts to darken and streak in about 10 days. Over six weeks and they are still shiny Rose copper.

Bakelite still keeps its shiny luster.

I know there were skeptics, but it does seem like the real deal. I have done over 50 phones. It is easy, just wipe on and let it dry.

The small bottles go a long way....Doug

Kidphone

Pourme

~

I have used mine, a lot. I pretty much agree with Doug, this stuff will put a shine on just about anything you apply it to. Everything I have applied this to turned up the shinny factor by a good bit for sure. Having said that, it's important to note Quar-Glaze does nothing corrective or restorative to the surface. What I mean is, I have 2 Kellogg 900 Pyramid phones that both are as dull as any Bakelite I own. I would love to see  these things shine brilliantly. Unfortunately IMO, nothing short of a proper sanding  & polishing will achieve this, if it indeed can.  When I apply Quar-Glaze the finish will respond by showing a subdued sheen, notably different from the luster my soft plastic 500s respond with.
Quar-Glaze will amplify the existing shine of most anything you use it on. The staying power seems to be better on the 'slicker' surfaces. I use a micro fiber cloth to dust it off and wake it up & the phone looks great days even weeks later.

A small bit goes a long way for sure. Certainly the best product I have found to maintain the maximum shine your surface is capable of yielding by simply wiping on. I really like it!

Benny

Doug Rose

There is a downside to QAR-GLAYZE.  :'( 

I was cleaning a Navy AE 40 which I always thought was NOS, thought!

Bakelite shines like it is NOS, sure looks as if it was never used!

BUT but the cleaning showed me the screw was tightened to far and developed a small crack and the bottom has a push that caused two cracks.

This hung on my wall for years and I never noticed the damage.

Still looks great from a foot away...Bummer  :( ....Doug
Kidphone