"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cell2Jack and call clarity

Started by texbodemer, May 02, 2023, 03:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texbodemer

Hi!

I have an interesting technical question--when using my Cell2Jack with a modern 2500 series phone (from Amazon) or modern Trimline phone, my call clarity is fine. When using a 1970s Design Line phone, I've been told it sounds like I'm underwater. Do you have any advice on how to fix that problem? I saw somewhere that turning down my Bluetooth volume may help, but I'm not sure if that means on the phone or my cell phone. I'm also wondering if anyone has experience with using a rotary phone with Cell2Jack.

Thanks!
Nick
"Life is short, write in pen"

countryman

I'm not familiar with the Cell2Jack, but the specs of the speech circuitry never really changed. So older phones should work well enough.
I know a lot of members here never have issues with older carbon transmitter elements, but my own experience is the opposite. If there was any chance to swap out the transmitter with one from a good working phone, you could easily determine if this is the problem here.

Jack Aman

I use an X Link device, which I'm sure is similar to Cell 2 Jack.  I've got old phones all over the house and use them exclusively when I'm home.  Whenever I've had any transmit issues, it has always been the transmitter in the old phone causing the issue.  In most of my "daily drivers" especially the old E1 handsets, I have swapped out both the receiver and transmitter elements with modern kit.  Callers say I'm crystal clear on their end.  I keep the old gear, of course so the "collector value" can be restored if ever need be, but for now I enjoy USING themn and I like for them to perform as modern equipment would.  Good Luck!

texbodemer

Can you recommend a good supplier?

poplar1

Quote from: texbodemer on May 02, 2023, 03:06:41 PMHi!

I have an interesting technical question--when using my Cell2Jack with a modern 2500 series phone (from Amazon) or modern Trimline phone, my call clarity is fine. When using a 1970s Design Line phone, I've been told it sounds like I'm underwater. Do you have any advice on how to fix that problem? I saw somewhere that turning down my Bluetooth volume may help, but I'm not sure if that means on the phone or my cell phone. I'm also wondering if anyone has experience with using a rotary phone with Cell2Jack.

Thanks!
Nick

Markosjal implied that the device is inferior to the xlink:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26105.0

Quote from: markosjal on April 23, 2022, 02:46:14 AMXmit quality:
Overall on most any phone call xmit quality seems off , almost like somewhere in an analog audio circuit, something is being overdriven. Transmit audio just is not as good as it could be. I confirmed this over conversations and echo tests. Adjusting level in utility did not seem to clean up the audio at all either.

Quote from: markosjal on April 23, 2022, 02:46:14 AMNotes:
Buyer beware for pulse dialing you need version 4 or later hardware. this unit says Version 6.1 with firmware Version 6.20
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AL_as_needed

Before throwing the baby out with the bathwater; does that phone work well or have the same issue if connected through a POTs line? (If available). It could be a simple issue of the switch-hook contacts being dirty or the carbon stuck together in the microphone. Knock the handset sharply against a soft cover book and see if call quality improves.
TWinbrook7

poplar1

Quote from: AL_as_needed on May 15, 2023, 06:25:13 PMBefore throwing the baby out with the bathwater; does that phone work well or have the same issue if connected through a POTs line? (If available). It could be a simple issue of the switch-hook contacts being dirty or the carbon stuck together in the microphone. Knock the handset sharply against a soft cover book and see if call quality improves.

Check the link. He tried several phones .Doesn't sound like a switch hook problem.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: poplar1 on May 15, 2023, 08:46:19 PMCheck the link. He tried several phones .Doesn't sound like a switch hook problem.

The issue he is having sounds specific to the 1970s design line phone, not the bluetooth gateway per say. I too have an Xlink and have seen this exact issue here and there as I test new to me phones. Hence why i suggest we look at the individual phone first and then the device.

TWinbrook7

texbodemer

It works really well with modern replica rotary phones, and with Western Electric 500 series phones. I'm guessing it just doesn't like vintage electronic phones.

I suspect I'll be selling Cell2Jack boxes with new rotary phones, and new touch-tone phones, and 500 series. (If I like a product, I become a vendor). I'm thinking I'll buy an X-Link for 70s phones with electronic components.

For me, the advantages of the Cell2Jack are the price and size.

markosjal

I have tested Cell2Jack with MANY phones and not once did I get anywhere near the quality I got with Xlink . I even expected a better result with my "Lil Buddie" Butt set because it is not a carbon mic and it made no big difference in quality. The other issue with all of these units is latency. That means when one person talks how long before the other end hears them. On a cell phone call, latency is most always high and even higher still when you add bluetooth.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish