News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can anyone identify the equipment that A1 Telephone uses?

Started by bellsystem, June 28, 2017, 01:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellsystem

I tried contacting this guy to ask him what he uses but he didn't get back to me.

Here is his YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/A1TELEPHONE/videos
Here is just one of his videos where he uses a variety of equipment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is-2Is4_lGM

I've already identified the BK Precision 1045 and 1050.

There are several other things however that I've been so far unable to identify. The telephone earpiece amplifier for one I haven't been able to even find pictures online. And I can find any telephone switch boxes like those used in the video.

I believe that's all the equipment he uses but I may have missed anything. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that'd be much appreciated!

Victor Laszlo

The switch box is just a few 6p4c jacks in a box, probably something he fabricated.

The coil allows him to demonstrate call progress by picking up what the receiver unit is doing.  You can just as easily connect a monitor amp/speaker, such as a WE SpokesmanĀ® or ITT OratorĀ® to get the same result.

The tester that sends generator, watches for dial pulses, and detects audio is not necessary, but helps him make a credible video.  A used Panasonic key system can do the same things.  There are lots of ways to get a phone to ring. The best audio tester is the human ear.

The other test equipment is sitting there unused, in his repair videos. Not sure what they are.

Speaking of credibility, those of us in the industry pick up on certain words and phrases, used by novices, computer geeks, wanna-be's, "Licensed Master Electricians", and self-anointed YouTube experts.  When we do, we go from chuckle to cringe, depending.

Here are a few:

"RJ45, RJ12, RJ22" and any other mis-represented connector/plug assembly.

"Rotary" as used to refer to a rotary DIAL.  (he does this repeatedly)

"Handset" as used to refer to a TELEPHONE.

"Centronics plug" as used to refer to an Amphenol plug.

"Silver Satin" as used to refer to satin silver, an industry standard color for cordage, color suffix - 87.

bellsystem

Victor, I am well aware there exist alternatives,

I have 2 Panasonic PBXs myself.

However, I'd like to know more about the equipment he specifically is using. The analyzers I figured out myself - the rest is stumping me.

And I do think it would be very handy to have an amplifier that fits right on the earpiece.

Victor Laszlo

The amplifier does not, of course, fit on the handset; it is off-screen, but I catch your drift. You could use any audio amp with a little speaker, or the ones I recommended.  You can buy for around $2.00 an electrically-equivalent pick-up coil. The ones that come with a suction cup and allow a telephone call to be recorded on a small tape recorder, are available on line. I just Googled "telephone pick-up coil" and found a plethora of them.

You could also try to use a U1 receiver unit from a spare G-type handset as a coil.

I have used them, as in input device, to the aforementioned Spokesman, to demonstrate to a skeptical spouse that there really were clicking sounds coming from my knee, after a long rehabilitation from a dislocation, and on another occasion, to allow a child's toy ukulele to be plugged into a guitar amplifier, as a goof for a friend who wanted to use one in his blues band's cover rendition of Isreal Kamakawiwo'ole's "Over the Rainbow."

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: bellsystem on June 28, 2017, 01:37:42 PM
I tried contacting this guy to ask him what he uses but he didn't get back to me.

Here is his YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/A1TELEPHONE/videos
Here is just one of his videos where he uses a variety of equipment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is-2Is4_lGM

I've already identified the BK Precision 1045 and 1050.

There are several other things however that I've been so far unable to identify. The telephone earpiece amplifier for one I haven't been able to even find pictures online. And I can find any telephone switch boxes like those used in the video.

I believe that's all the equipment he uses but I may have missed anything. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that'd be much appreciated!
One of the problems is that he uses his own words for things instead of using standard terms used throughout the industry, the world and by the public.  One example is his repeated use of the word "rotary" to refer to the dial.  It's a rotary dial phone and a rotary dial but the dial is not a "rotary".  "Rotary" is an adjective, not a noun unless we are talking about a road traffic "rotary".

Another is his "earpiece amplifier", which he does not show.  What he does show is a "pickup coil", which apparently is connected to some sort of amplifier driving a loudspeaker.  Radio Shack used to sell both types of items.  Most likely others still do, perhaps MCM Electronics. 

Many types of coils with many turns can be adapted to use for this purpose but they're inexpensive enough to buy and most of them have a suction cup to stick on the back of the handset to record telephone calls. 

Companies also sell small switch boxes with modular jacks for selecting among 2 or more lines.  Non-modular ones can be adapted by adding jacks.  No "rocket science" here.

One curiosity though is why during the demonstration of his calling his own number, dial tone goes aware BEFORE he dials the first digit.  Maybe the phone has psychic powers and anticipates his dialing the first digit.

Victor Laszlo

AG, did you read my reply, (#1) before transmitting yours?

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on June 28, 2017, 02:43:02 PM
AG, did you read my reply, (#1) before transmitting yours?
Absolutely not!  I was going to ask the same question.  But rather than quote the trite line about "great minds" I'd prefer to paraphrase Diana Ross: "Whenever you're near I hear" an echo (and vice-versa). 

But the real explanation is that even today there still are things called "facts" which everyone knows, can agree on, and recap independently.

bellsystem

Dial tone goes away before he begins dialing in all of his videos - not sure why. I've only watch a few but it goes away in all of those.

And I'd like something that works as easily as the amplifier in the video - where all I do is set it down on top of it - I don't want to have to pick something up and attach it to the receiver.

Rotary can be used as a noun the same way the word "microwave" is used as shorthand for microwave oven. Not trying to pick sides, but it's sometime common to say "I've got XXX rotaries and XX touch-tones" instead of using them as adjectives and adding the word 'telephones' after. It happens with lots of words.

I did searches for both amplifiers and switch boxes (using more specific search terms) and got a whole lot of nothing. Or at least useless somethings.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: bellsystem on June 28, 2017, 02:50:35 PM
Dial tone goes away before he begins dialing in all of his videos - not sure why. I've only watch a few but it goes away in all of those.
Probably because his production process involves some fakery.  Why does he feel a need to show that he is "taking breaks" 2 or 3 times during the course of an 8 minute video?  How does that add to the benefit people (ostensibly) get from watching?

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on June 28, 2017, 02:40:55 PM
You could use any audio amp with a little speaker,
Not really any amplifier.  It needs to have sufficient gain, which in this case means a "microphone level" input.

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on June 28, 2017, 02:40:55 PM
You could also try to use a U1 receiver unit from a spare G-type handset as a coil.

I have used them, as in input device, to the aforementioned Spokesman,
A U-type receiver functioning as a mike produces a much higher signal level than a U-type receiver functioning as a pickup coil.  To use one effectively as a pickup coil it would be best to tear a defective one apart, removing the coil from the surrounding magnetic components and diaphragm so it picks up an external magnetic field more efficiently and does not pick up sound.

However one could also use it as a mike, placed against the front of the receiver cap, ideally with a rubber ring to seal the mating surfaces.  OTOH, that would block the receiver from being heard directly, so placing a commercially made PU coil against the front of back of the handset would be just as good, even if the suction cup was removed.

Victor Laszlo

"...it's sometime common to say "I've got XXX rotaries and XX touch-tones" instead of using them as adjectives and adding the word 'telephones' after."

Common...that's the word I was looking for.  I don't do common. I do precise. You use whatever makes you happy.

I occasionally, when listing, orally, some of my vast telephone inventory, refer to TELEPHONES as "rotary" or "tone" models. The words are used as adjectives. Our YouToober calls a ROTARY DIAL a ROTARY, which, as I have and others have said, is a quick clue that the speaker is not a native-born telephonist, but a poseur.

The quickest way to dispose of this question is to ask him his NCSD. That question separates the men from the boys.

Victor Laszlo

"Probably because his production process involves some fakery. "

Wudjoo expect from a guy who calls dials "rotaries"?

kb3pxr

Okay these tools aren't that hard to identify or build.

The switch box as already stated is rather easy.you have DPDT switch with the output jack going to the test jack, one set of contacts going to the tester and the other set of contacts going to the POTS line. An electronics shop like he has would have the parts in stock.

The pickup amplifier is actually two components. The amplifier is just a generic audio power amplifier. The pickup is a coil of wire in a loop to pick up the magnetic field from the receiver. This operates on the same principle as the recording pickups available commercially and the T-Coil in hearing aids.

Inductive pickup has been used historically for a few purposes, phone phreaks used an inductive pickup to record from pay phones, in addition I have a book somewhere that uses an inductive pickup to detect the ringer and operate the extension ringer.

Vacuumlad1650

I wouldn't mind having one of those "analyzers" just to make sure my phones are dialing properly...i have gotten some upset people when I dial a number wrong (or it dials incorrectly).

One thing I am curious to know is where he gets those white modular line ends...i have a handful of phones that could use that. I only have 4 prong jacks in 2 rooms...i like preserving the old line cords.
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

TelePlay

Quote from: Vacuumlad1650 on January 21, 2018, 03:59:42 PM
One thing I am curious to know is where he gets those white modular line ends...i have a handful of phones that could use that. I only have 4 prong jacks in 2 rooms...i like preserving the old line cords.

I'm just guessing at what you said you are curious about getting but if you are referring to these (in the yellow circle in the first image), they are quite common and cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-Way-RJ11-Telephone-Modular-Phone-Line-Outlet-Jack-Socket-Splitter-Adapter/291516403429