News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bond.............JAMES Bond

Started by Dennis Markham, May 25, 2009, 12:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

QuoteWe're perfectly capable of pronouncing French names properly if they look French.  How on Earth would anyone know which they are if they're spelled precisely the same as English names?

Reminds of the British Comedy series "Keeping up Appearances" where Hyacinth Bucket insists that her last name is pronounced "Boo-Kay" instead of "Bu-ket".

Ellen

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 26, 2009, 02:29:33 PM
Those Social Security numbers are similar to zip codes in that numbers on the East coast start low and they get larger going westward. 

I grew up in Lexington, Mass.  Mine starts with 020.  Andy grew up in Newton, Mass. and his starts with 030.  I think my folks did a mass-registration, because many of my siblings (7 total) have close numbers.

Dan/Panther

Mine here in California starts with 573.
It seems once I heard it was broken down into something like Region 5, zone 7, area 3. Not sure of terminology just the basic idea. But knowing how the Government works, it's probably totally random, and no patterns whatsoever.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

I never knew that, Dennis.  You learn something new every day, I guess.  Mine starts with 213, and was issued in Maryland, just outside DC.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

foots

Quote from: bingster on May 26, 2009, 07:22:55 PM
Quote from: foots on May 26, 2009, 04:43:42 AM
I met a guy a few years back whose name was David David (last name pronounced da-veed). I also had an uncle (by marriage) whose cousin's name was Richard Richard (last name pronounced ree-shard) and no, I'm not joking. I'd feel sorry if they ever been up north - yankees seem to have a hard time with french names.
We're perfectly capable of pronouncing French names properly if they look French.  How on Earth would anyone know which they are if they're spelled precisely the same as English names? 

Live here long enough (all of my life) and you just know. Oh, I used to work with a guy named Richard Johnson - try living with that.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

BDM

Try living with Richard Cox. That was the name of a long time school chum. To top it off, his mother always called him Dick. No joke, but boy did he pay for that is so many ways. Lets remember, at the time he was named. His parents generation just didn't act in the manner we're thinking. Well, for the most part ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

I have a similar one to that one.  One of my best friends is Woodland Cox (his parents were hippies).  He hates that name, so he's Woody.  Woody Cox. 
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

In our Orange County California telephone directory we have a gentleman named Peter DeBest.
You do the math.
D/P

McHeath

Went to college with a woman named Sandy Dyck.  (pronounced "dick") 

You gotta wonder what some parents are thinking.

Ellen

And I have a friend named Richard Virgin.

bingster

And Patsy Cline's husband's name is Charlie Dick.  Poor girl--she was actually Patsy Dick.

I went to high school with a guy who's last name was Dyche, which was pronounced the same as the thing the little dutch boy stuck his finger in.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Had a student a few years back named Johnny Angel.  To make it even more fun he went by the full name at all times.  Always heard the song when I called his name.  (and he was no angel  :o)

Then there was the 8th grade girl student I had named Honey.  Ouch.  Especially for a male teacher that was bad, often found myself calling her by "Miss ___________" (her last name)

We also get a lot of Aztec/Mayan kids with names that don't roll out too easily such as Xuchimatzatzin. 

AET

My dad used to work with a guy named Thor Hole.  

Johnny Angel, now I'm thinking of Shelley Fabares, she was a looker in her day, eh?  Especially in the Johnny Angel Video.  See if I can find it quick....here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1S8a4NYaqE

Oops!  Guess they cut the audio out!

The song can be heard here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY4nmQgBfXo&feature=related
- Tom

Dan/Panther

McHeath;
Easy for you to say !!!
D/P