"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Compact AE32 Subset wiring for Automatic Electric 1A Telephone

Started by handworn, May 20, 2012, 09:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handworn

Hey all,

It turns out I was wrong-- I have 5 hookswitch wires, not 4.

How do I tell what number hookswitch I have?  I don't remember seeing a label on it.

I attached a piece of wire as a replacement terminal link, but it didn't solve the problem completely.  I still only have dial tone when turning the dial slightly, which makes me think there's a connection there that's made only when dialing which should be connected constantly.  Calling in works, but again only when the dial is turned slightly.  That is, I call, it rings, I pick up the handset and hear nothing, I turn the dial and hold it turned and instantly I hear the connection to my cellphone, which again goes dead when I let the dial go back (though the call is still active).  Is there something to adjust in the dial?

HarrySmith

Sounds like the contacts on the back of the dial are not working properly or it is not connected to the hookswitych properly. Can you get a clear closeup picture of the contacts both in park position and with the dial moved?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

stub

Handworn,
               The pic of your dial looks ok. The fact that you hear when you turn the dial indicates it is working now.  Take a small piece of paper and clean the contacts with just the paper. Pull it thru the contacts like in the pic. If this doesn't work you will have to bend the 1st contact (far left in pic) to the right putting more pressure on the 2nd contact . (To enlarge pic, left click in pic)  Don't bend it too much as the 1st contact will need to open and close as the cam rotates when number is dialed.
               That was very nice of Terry to send you a subset up front !    stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

handworn

About Terry's generosity, I completely agree, stub, especially since I haven't been a member here very long.  I'll be sending him payment for the subset soon.

handworn

Oh, and by the way, stub, thanks for your advice too!  I'll try that.

handworn

Stub,

Putting a piece of paper through there did clean it some-- there was schmutz on the paper every time-- but it didn't solve the problem.  Would pulling the paper trick with fine-grit sandpaper be better?  And though I could bend the first contact (I haven't yet), it seems to contact the second pretty well already.  Can you explain theoretically what is supposed to happen here?

Thanks,

Matt

poplar1

You could also connect the two wires that are on the left (looking at the back of the dial) together temporarily just to see if you have dial tone; the contacts they connect to should have continuity except when they open up for the number of times corresponding to the number dialed. If you don't have dial tone with the wires touching, then cleaning the contacts won't solve the problem.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

handworn,
               Connect the 2 contacts with a jumper wire like David said. You may still have a hookswitch wire miss placed yet. When you pick up the handset you should have dial tone with the jumper wire on those 2 contacts. When the dial is at rest or park the 1st contact is parked away from the cam. When you turn the dial just alittle it will drop down to the cam and when released it will pluse up and down as the cam moves it .  Check your PMs.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Matt,
        Verify that the hookswitch wires are correct . Starting at the top of my 5 contact hookswitch as # 1 and work down .   Top  1st contact goes to phone base # 8
                                          2nd "                                     " # 2
                                          3rd "                                      " # 1
                                          4th "                                      " # 3
                                          5th "                                      " # 7
In reply # 43, is the last contact on the right side of the dial at rest or park, OPEN like mine? That's what Harrysmith, Larry was talking about the receiver being shunted when it's not supposed to be. If wires are wrong it could be completing the circuit as your slightly turn the dial and the shunt springs could be suppling power to the receiver instead of shorting out the handset during dialing.
                                                       Your closer, don't give up, we will get it .      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

handworn

Hi Stub,

I was pretty careful about which wires go where on the switch, making them conform to the diagram.  I'll try again if need be.  Anyway, I just tried the connect-the-two-contacts-with-a-wire thing, while holding the handset to my ear, and nothing happened.  What did happen (I have no idea if it was caused by connecting the contacts) was that the line started giving me that razzing, repeating sound that happens if the switch is open too long-- if the handset is off the cradle too long-- and I could actually hear it oh-so-faintly even with the dial in at-rest position.  (When I turned the dial slightly, of course, it jumped up to full volume.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

stub

Matt,
       When you jumped the 2 contacts on the dial you should have gotten dial tone. There has to be a wire in the wrong place somewhere. Did you check your messages?    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Matt,
       Try swapping the red and the orange handset wires  orange 7  and red 8   and see if handset volume and dial tone are there. I couldn't tell the colors apart from here.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

handworn

Do you mean swapping the wire that goes from the handset to 7 swapped with the wire that goes from the handset to 8?

Quote from: stub on August 03, 2012, 11:43:56 AM
Matt,
       Try swapping the red and the orange handset wires  orange 7  and red 8   and see if handset volume and dial tone are there. I couldn't tell the colors apart from here.   stub

stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

handworn

It didn't fix it; there was no dialtone at all in that case, even with the dial turned a little.  I would think it wouldn't be anything to do with the connection to the handset, if turning the dial makes the connection properly.