News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Siemens Italtel Grillo "flip" phone

Started by zenithchromacolor, August 10, 2020, 06:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenithchromacolor

I purchased this phone recently at an estate sale for $8. It has some typical scuffs and scratches and some yellowing, but no damage. Looks like it was not used much or at all. Dated 1969 and 1970. An interesting design, though kind of heavy and bulky to hold for a long time. They appear to have made these in a variety of colors, too bad this one isn't more colorful.

The owner had worked for Illinois Bell and I also purchased a few of his tools.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: zenithchromacolor on August 10, 2020, 06:41:13 PM
I purchased this phone recently at an estate sale for $8.

That is a great price on a cool phone.
You should put it in the find of the month.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

tubaman

That was a good buy as they usually fetch a lot more.
There's more information in this article - https://www.italianways.com/grillo-a-revolutionary-phone
I have a mustard coloured one with the Italian three pin plug. It took me quite a while to track down a suitable socket for it (eBay triumphed in the end), but it looks like yours has the American four pin plug so hopefully not an issue.
:)

countryman

I managed to brighten up my white Grillo with some 6% Peroxide hair salon bleach creme.
It took 2 passes of 20-30 minutes and a bright day. As only the outside was yellowed, I did not dismantle the phone but brushed on the creme and wiped it off with a damp cloth after the UV expostion.
Getting a socket for mine will be a nice reason for a trip to Italy...later... for now I use alligator clips.

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,

Doug Rose

I owned a clear Grillo for a long time until I received an offer I could not refuse....Doug
Kidphone

zenithchromacolor

Thank you for posting the color chart and information.
Yes, this phone has the American 4-pin plug. Since this phone was made during the Bell System era, would a phone like this have been sold directly to customers in stores when new in the US? Or through independent telephone companies?

Key2871

I found a blue one at a yard sale once, I had no idea what it was, so I posted a picture in the ATCA and got an offer right away, so I sold it.
But I thought it was very unique.
KEN

rdelius

Bell system would not have let you connect it to your telephone line. This was before before deregulation

SunriseEarth

For that price, this should definitely be nominated for FOTM.

I have three Grillo phones:  orange, blue, and clear.   Unfortunately, the buzzer only works on the orange one.  All of them are US 4-prong and have alphanumeric dials.
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

zenithchromacolor

I actually bought the phone last month, so too late for August FOTM. I got to this one "quickly", I have phones I purchased years ago that I haven't gotten to cleaning up yet.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: zenithchromacolor on August 12, 2020, 09:41:45 PM
I actually bought the phone last month, so too late for August FOTM.

There is about a  month  leeway on find of the month finds.
It is eligible for August 2020 find of the month
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24160.0
Jim
You live, You learn,

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on August 11, 2020, 02:13:12 PM
Getting a socket for mine will be a nice reason for a trip to Italy...later... for now I use alligator clips.

I can imagine the conversation:
"I think a Holiday in Italy would be good this year".
"Why Italy in particular dear?"
"I need a socket for one of my phones".
"<expletives deleted>"
;D

countryman

I'm afraid she'll agree in a hurry but who's going to pay for all the shoes and handbags she will be going to buy there?

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on August 13, 2020, 07:16:18 AM
I'm afraid she'll agree in a hurry but who's going to pay for all the shoes and handbags she will be going to buy there?
I hadn't thought of that, but I'm sure she'll consider it as a fair trade for you getting your phone socket.
;D