News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. Autodialer practice sought

Started by Babybearjs, February 17, 2012, 01:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Hi all! first off, can someone identify this autodialer? I had one of these years ago and never know how to make it work... wound up scraping it because I did'nt know how to hook it up. then, I need the associated practice for this unit.... one of these are on ebay right now, and the seller want a minimum bid of $45.00, and yes, its worth it, IF it works... the rest of the pictures show very bad rust and so, I doubt anyone will bid on it.  John
John

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 17, 2012, 01:32:17 AM
Hi all! first off, can someone identify this autodialer? I had one of these years ago and never know how to make it work... wound up scraping it because I did'nt know how to hook it up. then, I need the associated practice for this unit.... one of these are on ebay right now, and the seller want a minimum bid of $45.00, and yes, its worth it, IF it works... the rest of the pictures show very bad rust and so, I doubt anyone will bid on it.  John

It was intended for burglar or status alarms. It is programmed by means of the levers to dial a single telephone number.

At this moment I'm unable to recall the model number but perhaps others will recollect before I can.

G-Man

It looks like it is a 43A Station Dial
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2698&Itemid=2

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on February 17, 2012, 03:21:24 AM

It looks like it is a 43A Station Dial
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2698&Itemid=2

Here are some portions discussions from the TCI list regarding these dialers:

I believe the TT version is a type 53, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

One common use for these autodialers (in AT&T) was for them to be added to customer premise PBX (and associated adjunct processor computers). When the always-running-in-the-background self maintenance testing saw a condition it considered to be a "major alarm", the autodialer worked with the PBX to dial up a printer in an AT&T CSSO and print out some minimal information about the situation. (Centralized Service Support Organization <my guess, i don't remember the acronym>, one of a half dozen or so centers around the USA where remote support of PBXs and some other AT&T equip was performed.)

These autodialers were put onto the equipment at the customer's location...when a major alarm was seen by the equip it would dial a printer in the CSSO and let the CSSO know that system xyz was having trouble.

A tech would get the printout in the CSSO, and then would remotely dial into the equipment on the customer premises to run more extensive tests and see if the situation could be A>programmed around, B>ignored as not really service affecting, or C>required the dispatch of a field tech to resolve.

G-Man

One thing more.... Check the vermillion ink markings next to the terminal strip to verify whether it is a 43A or 53A dial.

Also, since this unit looks as if it is in pretty rough shape, you may want to consider making a lower offer to the seller or better yet wait for another one in better shape comes along.

G-Man

Can you update us by telling us whether you were able to verify the model number and if the proper BSP was provided?

Adam

Another use for these was elevator phones.  You lift the handset of the phone behind the little door in the elevator and this dialer in the basement connects you to the elevator emergency response service.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

G-Man

We never heard back from you as to whether we provided you with the correct information for the unit you inquired about.

Just in case, here is an auction for a Western Electric 53A Autodialer that looks to be in better condition and has a much lower starting price: http://tinyurl.com/6n2c23c

Babybearjs

this was a item that sold on ebay a week and 1/2 ago. i never bid in it. was in too bad of shape... too much rust. thanks for the links for the practices... I'll take a look!
John

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 22, 2012, 05:17:45 AM
this was a item that sold on ebay a week and 1/2 ago. i never bid in it. was in too bad of shape... too much rust. thanks for the links for the practices... I'll take a look!

The listing show there are 5-days, 22hrs. (@ Feb 28, 201208:54:05 PST) left before it expires. This dialer seems to be in much better condition than the one you are looking to buy for $45.00 but of course that is your choice.

Babybearjs

the basic reason for this thread was to ID the unit and to get a copy of the practice.... now, done. Thank you all who helped! This is the first time I've seen a 43A autodialer on Ebay. were these very popular in their day?? its just too bad I didnt have the info about this unit when I actually had one back in '86! I'd probibly still have it!   John
John