News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Grey 746 with a lock

Started by gpo706, July 18, 2011, 06:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

I have no idea what the key/lock is for, will let you know when it arrives...

You think it locks the dial up?

Cheap as chips anyway, whatever it is!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190553245755&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I have just examined the picture and its a 746 with MK1 body, still no idea what the key is for though.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan

Are chips french fries or potato chips? My son (who is an expert on the mother country) says it is french fries.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Owain

Quote from: Dan on July 18, 2011, 08:08:55 PM
Are chips french fries or potato chips? My son (who is an expert on the mother country) says it is french fries.

Chips are what you call french fries.

The key will either disable the dial, or prevent the phone being used altogether. A typical application would be a PBX extension (or a direct exchange line) in a manager's office that wasn't subjected to PBX call barring and could be used for expensive/international calls. Taking away the key stopped the cleaners abusing the phone.

LarryInMichigan

I have a Dutch Ericsson Rijen PTT phone with a lock on the side.  The wires to the lock switch had been snipped, but I could see that the lock switch simply bypassed the dial pulsing contacts so that calls could not be made using the dial.

Larry

gpo706

Thanks Larry and Owain!

Yes chips are something you eat with fish and put salt and  sauce on...

(if you're from Edinburgh, if in Glasgow it's salt and vinegar...)

Adam

Oh, darn, now I'd *really* like a good plate of fish and chips!

Or, even better, bangers and mash!  My favorite!
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

gpo706

Stewed bangers, in a rich gravy, onions  and mash, is one of my mother's specialities, you might enjoy mince and tatties, or stovies.   ;)

gpo706

This just in from gentleman Bob Freshwater...

"Scot

It came as a kit - case and lock.  Also used a dial No 28.  That dial had a special springset on it which allowed 999 to be dialled.

Switch normal allowed all numbers to be dialled - switch on only allowed 999.

Of course - somebody good at tapping the switchooks could still dial out - you have to be quick though.

Cheers

Bob

http://www.britishtelephones.com/

Dan

Quote from: gpo706 on July 19, 2011, 07:40:12 PM
Stewed bangers, in a rich gravy, onions  and mash, is one of my mother's specialities, you might enjoy mince and tatties, or stovies.   ;)

Now you are getting me hungry sir, please translate this for us yankees...
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Dan on July 19, 2011, 10:34:15 PM

Now you are getting me hungry sir, please translate this for us yankees...

Before the correct answer arrives let me take a guess.

Mince = mincemeat
Tatties = potatoes
Stovies = a stew like dish with potatoes, onions and meat with gravy.
Bangers = a sausage
Mash = mashed pototoes

I used to go to an English Pub for lunch and dinner. 

Did I get it right?

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Adam

Stewed bangers, in a rich gravy, onions  and mash, is one of my mother's specialities

Wait, stewed?  Stewed in what?  I'm pretty sure when I get bangers and mash at my local British pub here in Los Angeles, the bangers are fried.  They could be boiled, I guess...
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Owain

Quote from: Adam on July 20, 2011, 12:55:52 PM
Stewed bangers, in a rich gravy, onions  and mash, is one of my mother's specialities

Wait, stewed?  Stewed in what?  I'm pretty sure when I get bangers and mash at my local British pub here in Los Angeles, the bangers are fried.  They could be boiled, I guess...

"Sausage casserole"
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6097/tasty-sausage-casserole

gpo706

Stewed in gravy. Not pre fried or cooked.

Stovies - its corned beef mashed with potatoes and onions, I had a similar dish in a Thai restaurant, exactly the same but made with mashed beef.

Adam

Stewed in gravy.  OK, that works.

:)
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

gpo706

Ok, back from OT.

Its very lightly used, no sunburn, minimal scratches, (hardly surprising if it has a lock on it eh  ;))it's a 746F, DMF 79/2.

In fact it even comes in a GPO bag and with the handset covering bag.

The locking mechanism has a black plastic arched window "U" to cover the aperture in the side of the cover and the actual lock.

The lock is connected by two wires - blue to T10 and grey to T12.

It's a "Yale" lock, and has serial number 749 stamped on the (one supplied) key, should be easy enough to get a spare at the local locksmith shop.

So it is not a dial lock, its a TX lock of some sort, in fact the dial is one of the better ones I have on my 700's!

The handset plungers are ominously down, and it look likes the spring has went walkies at some point.

It has a rare dark grey linecord attached but no soapdish, never fear I just bought a bunch so it will be orig line to soapdish to dark grey PST.

BTW the dark grey line cords are a pretty new phenomenon on the re-manufactured market, previously I have to settle for light grey which doesn't match the handsets.

More when I get me screwdriver out...

Hmmm, this seems never to have been fitted with any of the lever mechanism to depress the handset plunger switch, so I took one out of another 746, but it doesn't seat quite right, and depression of the plungers doesn't quite cut off dial tone.

Once wired up the key disables the dial completely, but as I said there appears to be no way to disconnect, unless its in the internal wiring...

Another curio I will have to figure out.