"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric GN4676 Combined set

Started by Phonesrfun, June 17, 2012, 04:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

This may turn out to be interesting.

Recently a person contacted me wondering what the value was on two phones she had recently acquired because they were so unusual looking.  She saw my ad for the Seattle Phone Show in Craigslist and contacted me hoping I could give her more information.

I was stumped.  I even posted here, but there was not a lot of information that came from that.  I believe she may have contacted Paul-F and he may be doing some research on this for her, but still there was not much information available at the time, except that they are certainly rare, even though they are made from basic parts that are very readily available except for the base cover.

These follow the general theme of the Continental series, in the paint, the colors and the features F4 handset with T1/U1 capsules, fabric colored coiled cords, #6 dials with plastic finger wheels, etc.

I wondered at the time if there was an "Imperial" version of the same thing in a plated finish.  About two hours, my question was answered as I was going through the Seattle museum seeing two samples of the "Metropolitan"; one in black and one in gold plating just like the Imperial.  Both GN4676's.  Note from the photo that the Seattle Museum display indicates that these were actually developed in Seattle.

The base is metal, by the way, as is the "D" mount that mounts to it.

The lady is still in need of value information.  If you wish to contact her, I have that information.  I am going to post a link back to this posting on both the TCI and ATCA list serves.

Here are the photos:

-Bill G

paul-f

Bill,

Is the last photo above from the Museum display?  Do they have documentation that led to the 1947 date, Seattle origin and Metropolitan name?

So far, all the sets reported have had dates in 1955.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

G-Man

Quote from: paul-f on June 17, 2012, 08:00:22 PM
Bill,

Is the last photo above from the Museum display?  Do they have documentation that led to the 1947 date, Seattle origin and Metropolitan name?

So far, all the sets reported have had dates in 1955.

I suspect the sets may have been converted in various Western Electric distributing houses including the Seattle facility.

It would also appear as if they were used in service in other parts of Pacific Telephone territory.

Does anyone know what other areas other than the West Coast they appeared in?

Doug Rose

Bill...these are very cool sets. Are you the new owner or are they on loan? Stunning sets, looks like they have been cleaned up from your original post. Beautiful phones. The Imperial is amazing as well....thanks for the pictures....Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

The red and green pair are for sale.  As mentioned before, the lady that owns them is looking for information on their value.  I don't have the phones, but she does, and I can give you her e-mail address.

I am going to contact the Seattle Museum and see if they have anything in their archives to substantiate the inormation as to their origin (Seattle?) and of the dates.  The museum has a placcard on their display showing a 1947 date and Seattle as the originating area. 

The 1947 date is interesting.  Perhaps these were dreamt up in 1947, but all the evidence seems to point to 1955, based on component date stamps.

-Bill G

Doug Rose

Bill...I would love to have these phones, but have no idea of their true value. To me, the only fair way to establish their value is to list them on eBay with a minimum that she wants for each phone ($500 would be a fair starting point). I would list them separately, but that's only me. If she wants to donate them, I will accept her donation  ;D..thanks...Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 18, 2012, 11:53:48 AM
I am going to contact the Seattle Museum and see if they have anything in their archives to substantiate the inormation as to their origin (Seattle?) and of the dates.  The museum has a placcard on their display showing a 1947 date and Seattle as the originating area. 

Any new info on the "Metropolitan" sets?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

I will send a follow-up e-mail to Don Ostrand at the Seattle Museum.  Thanks for the reminder.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Bill...what happened to the red and green sets? I never saw them on eBay....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

It is about time I contacted the owner once again to ask her.  A few weeks ago I left it with her that i would help her on any write-up she needed, but I have not heard from her.

I will do that when I get home from work this evening.

Thanks,
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Kidphone

TelePlay

I think I would have put the moss green one up for sale first and waited a month or two after it sold to list the pekin red. Listing both at the same time may split available money between the two phones, if you know what I mean. Selling them separately may have had both go higher amount.

Just MHO, of course.

Now, how about an auction contest on both of them?

AE_Collector

And I would post one picture of the second phone in the first listing and say "coming next month".

Not mentioned but these are the two phones that showed up at the Seattle phone show that Bill Geurts hosted in June.

Terry

Greg G.

I saw these at the last phone show in Seattle.  She showed up kinda late just as we were winding down.  This is a good one for our guessing contest.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Yes they would have been good for an auction contest. Only 1 day and 7 hrs left though so prob not enough time left. Could go very high OR might just about be there now at $300 for the red and $2xx something for the green. Who knows!

Could keep it an informal contest.....

I guess  red - $735 and green - $580

Terry