News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wood Wall Phone

Started by HarrySmith, June 22, 2018, 04:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I have been considering adding a 2 or 3 box wood wall phone to my collection. Problem is most people who have one think because it is big & old it must be worth a lot of money. I just saw this one that is not to high price with BIN. What do you think? Is it original or complete? Would it be worth adding? I know the dial is not original but that would be easy to remove. Or does anyone have one at a decent price. Ratty is ok, I can restore it as long as it is complete. I would really like a big one, I have seen some at shows that were like 6 feet tall! That would be great! The ones at the shows have been restored and were asking thousands. Most people seem to think they are only good for firewood at this point so there should be some good deals available.
Thanks, Harry

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292614043914
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Is the crank for a generator or a pencil sharpener?

The receiver, hook, and transmitter look old, but the rest looks fake to me. How big would the clapper need to be to strike both gongs? ( They look like gongs from a C4 ringer.) Oh, never mind, there is no clapper and no holes for one.

Somebody had too much time on their hands!

On the other hand, this may be the only pine backboard you'll see for a while!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Yeah. I agree. I went back & took another look. The gongs appear to be screwed directly to the phone and a few other things appear wrong. I asked for some pictures of the inside.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Nick in Manitou

Except for the fact that shipping from Tucson to Florida might be prohibitive, I might have several very original wood wall phones that might fit what you are looking for.

I have not really started to figure out what I have in that category, but I have a number.

Any plans to travel to Arizona?

Nick

tubaman

Agree, definitely not an original - a wall ornament only.
The cross-head screws in the back don't help - they hadn't been invented at the time an original of that style would have been made!
:)

RB

Nice old look, for a modern phone.
I don't know how peeps see one of these, but not having a clapper seems to be accepted...at least by the sellers...
I see woods on Dallas CL all the time...
They seem to start at 140, and go up.
And most are not complete/working.
Seems the box is the attraction???
Don't know if they are getting that for them, certainly not from me...
I am MUCH too cheap...

Dan/Panther

That is home made.
For all of the reasons listed, and many not listed.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson