"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 in Dawn Gray - The last color needed for my collection

Started by JorgeAmely, March 08, 2010, 10:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Look up Sally's in the yellow pages-thay have the 20%
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Kenny C

I live in a town most pepole think is a speck of dust on the map ;) we do have a beauty shop though
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

This is the progress done so far. The dial wouldn't break the dial tone because the contacts don't open properly, so it will need a dial overhaul.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Looks like a good project, Jorge.  The right man for the right job.

Jester

Quote from: finlover on March 09, 2010, 11:40:06 AM
In a blender add 1 cup peroxide with two teaspoons xanthan gum (available at a health food store), and 1 teaspoon glycerine.  Blend for 5 seconds, let it rest for 5 seconds, then blend another 5 seconds.

I hadn't considered the glycerin before, Greg.  That should help alot with keeping the gel moist.  It hadn't occurred to me to seal the parts up, either.  My treatments are going to be much different next time! :)
Stephen

finlover

Glad to be of help!  Like everything else with the restoration process, this method came from lots of trial and error.

JorgeAmely

Not too many good TV shows last night, so I was able to finish the dial (one hour) and clean the numbers wheel today (two hours).

I cleaned some of the surfaces of the handset to see how deep the fade is; what you see took 15 minutes.

Jorge

Phonesrfun

Jorge:

That is quite a bit of progress, and I am amazed that your handset came out so well so far.  The cover will obviously be the hard part.  I am sure there is nothing good on TV for another week.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

McHeath

JorgeAmely

Yes, so far I have been sanding it. Even if I use peroxide or other chemical forbidden by the state of Californy, I still have to sand it lightly to get rid of little nicks here and there.

What worries me a bit is the logo area; the UV damaged area runs across the middle of it.

Jorge

finlover

With all the bleach blondes in California, peroxide is illegal??  Nice job so far, Sr. Amely.  This one's going to be a beaut!

Phonesrfun

Wouldn't the embossed logo area be normally under the handset and out of the direct sunlight, or has it also been damaged by UV?

-Bill
-Bill G

AET

Wow, you've really made some serious progress on that bad boy!
- Tom

Craig T

Keep it going Jorge that phone already looks impressive. I cannot believe how nice the color is coming back, great work!

Doug Rose

When you folks say "sand" are you talking a wet sand? If you did that on the dial, would the letters and numbers come with it.  It looks fantastic, I'm just trying to learn....Doug
Kidphone