News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 in Dawn Gray - The last color needed for my collection

Started by JorgeAmely, March 08, 2010, 10:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Thank you guys for the words of encouragement.

In regards to what order to follow when assembling, I do the base first and electric stuff next and add components to the base so everything is all in one place as I go. So everything connected to the base is clean, anything else needs work. But in order to see if it dials and rings  OK, the dial and the handset need to be in place.  The housing, lift and plungers come in last.

Dan: I am no AE expext, but Tenite was out of AE phones I would say by 1959. I do have some sets that have mixed caps (ABS and Tenite). The numbers wheel seems to be Tenite for many years after that; the light gray set I am working on has a Tenite wheel. Tenite loves to catch mold (see one of my early pictures in this post). Caps with no center hole are Tenite for sure.

In general, if the handset cord exits through the back, and the base has diamond (sort of) shaped pads, chances are the set is Tenite. Some ABS housings are identical to the Tenite housings; there is no side notch for the handset cord. Some have three notches, two in the back and one on the side. I guess those were made for recycling sets that had good bases. Then there is the housing that has two screws instead of three) to hold the base and housing together. That was the last generation of housing made by AE. After that I believe production was AE desk sets stopped.

I have seen four type of bases:

1> potted network, big pads, dial bolted to the base
2> potted network, big pads, dial spring latched to the base
3> exposed components (self compensating) Model 1154, circular feet, side handset cord
4> exposed components (self compensating) Model 1120, circular feet, side handset cord

As soon as I am done with this set, I will reorder them by color code and snap a few pictures.

Jorge

JorgeAmely

Last one hundred meters ... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (hope it is not an incoming train)!

What you see is about 4 more hours.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Fantastic, Jorge!  This one is going to be one of your best.  Hard to believe it's the same phone.

JorgeAmely

It is the same. It needs three more passes with that magic product,  ;) ;), and it will ready for Novus 2.
Jorge

Jim Stettler

Let me guess, Phones are your life, I thought they were my life but I must be shallow. I am way to lazy to put out the effort required for such fine results. My hat is off to you and your efforts,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Jim:

It is an entertainment that saves me from watching too much TV ... and doing my taxes.
Jorge

Craig T

Rounding third and heading for home, keep it going Jorge! Man, I thought it was a little early for these, but you really broke out the shine for this one  8)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 16, 2010, 12:37:29 AM
Jim:

It is an entertainment that saves me from watching too much TV ... and doing my taxes.
Jorge, we must be on the same wavelength.  My sister was chiding me yesterday on to many projects (I am ADD by nature) I pointed out that at least the projects kept me from watching TV,  Neither her, another sister or Mom could argue that. My wife just shook her head.
I is as I is, but at least I realize I is.
They just chalk it up as eccentric behavior.
Works for me,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Craig T

Hope Uncle Sam is sending you a telephone instead of taking one away  :)

AET

I wish that I had the time to accomplish that much on my phones.  I haven't even gotten through making all mine workable.
- Tom

Netdewt

Quote from: Jim S. on March 16, 2010, 01:33:34 AM
Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 16, 2010, 12:37:29 AM
Jim:

Jorge, we must be on the same wavelength.  My sister was chiding me yesterday on to many projects (I am ADD by nature) I pointed out that at least the projects kept me from watching TV,  Neither her, another sister or Mom could argue that. My wife just shook her head.
I is as I is, but at least I realize I is.
They just chalk it up as eccentric behavior.
Works for me,
Jim

Haha, I am starting to get this. I'm 27, with two young kids, so I'm still getting used to life as a dad and a having a full-time career. My hobbies are how I escape it all for a bit. Problem is I like everything. I'm 110% excited about something different every week.

JorgeAmely

Fellow phon-AE-holics:

Here it is. It is not a Dennis Markham or finlover phone, but I am happy to have it as it completes my color collection of AE80 desk sets. From last time to here was another 4 hours.

Photo album here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AE80InDawnGray#

Total time was close to 17 hours.

Jorge

Dan

You have a gift, my  man. You must live down south --look at all the pretty flowers blooming in the background. Here in Ohio, the Krocus  (sp?) are the only things blooming.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 17, 2010, 09:52:21 PM
Fellow phon-AE-holics:

Here it is. It is not a Dennis Markham or finlover phone,  

Please, Jorge....I have never transformed a phone that has been light damaged to this extent, like you did here!  You did an amazing job on this Light Gray AE 80!  It's a remarkable transformation.  Dan is right, you have a gift for this work...and a lot of patience.

I'll bet the previous owner will be equally amazed to see this phone now!

Dan, those are California flowers.

baldopeacock

Very nice, Jorge!   Wouldn't think it was the same phone as the "before" pic.   That AE gray is great - looks darker than WE gray and shows off your efforts.   It's a classy looking phone.    A job very well done.