News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 in Dawn Gray - The last color needed for my collection

Started by JorgeAmely, March 08, 2010, 10:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

You are right about the shade--looks like a cross between the oxford grey and the light grey--a nice average  inbetween
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

stub

Jorge,
            Man ,that's a great job !!!!!!!!!! Now tell us how you did the AE logo, and make it look so good!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dan

Here's a serious money making idea for you. Film a restoration, put it on DVD. I'd pay $40 for it. Sell about 100 of these . One phone restoration would pay for the DVD. Seriously.

Dennis, you and finlover are the three amigo's of phone restoration.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 17, 2010, 11:25:26 PM
I'll bet the previous owner will be equally amazed to see this phone now!

Ummm....YEAH! Incredible.

I'd make a bunch more comments but I'm off to look for a box to put the Dawn Gray in my collection in to send it to Jorge for a face lift!

All said, a very rewarding experience parting with my spare dawn gray AE80 to have it treated like that!

None of you will ever again joke about the sun never shining in Vancouver what with the NO Snow for the 2010 Winter Olympics AND the amount of sun damage to that Vancouver AE80 set.

Terry Biddlecombe

finlover

Quote from: Dan on March 17, 2010, 11:52:23 PM
Dennis, you and finlover are the three amigos of phone restoration.
Jorge, you are definitely the Martin Short character...

What a truly awesome job you did on this beauty!!!  Hard to believe it's the same phone looking at the "before" picture?  Now you have to post a group shot of all your 80s--we want to "taste the rainbow"!

JorgeAmely

Someone (besides finlover) asked for a picture of the whole set. Here they are in color numerical code order from black to Forget Me Not (or WE Aqua Blue).

00 - Black - soft plastic black with bakelite handset and rural numbers wheel
10 - Beige (Sand) - soft plastic with a 20 Hz frequency ringer. My most complete set. 283B plug has AE logo on it.
11 - Dawn Gray - 1968 model from Canada, ABS. Previous owner: Terry Biddlecombe
12 - Jade Green - soft plastic, very nice color
13 - Ivory (Classic) - ABS, metal plungers, from Russ Cowell
14 - Red (Garnet) - soft plastic
15 - Turquoise - soft plastic, frequency ringer and SATT dial
16 - Dark Blue (Colonial Blue) - my only model with chromed finger wheel. Has smooth blue cords.
17 - Sunlight Yellow - ABS
18 - Pink (Camelia) - ABS, ringer added later
19 - Gardenia White - I paid 99 cents for it. Was painted in white when I got it.
30 - Blue (Forget Me Not) - ABS  
Jorge

Jim Stettler

Quote from: ae_collector on March 18, 2010, 12:51:31 AM
<I'll bet the previous owner will be equally amazed to see this phone now!

Ummm....YEAH! Incredible.

I'd make a bunch more comments but I'm off to look for a box to put the Dawn Gray in my collection in to send it to Jorge for a face lift!

All said, a very rewarding experience parting with my spare dawn gray 80 to have it treated like that!

None of you will ever joke about the sun never shining in Vancouver what with the Olympics and No Snow and the discoloration on that Vancouver AE80 set.

Terry Biddlecombe

Hi Terry,
Welcome to the forum.
Jim Stettler

Here are some quick photos of the clear AE80. This was made with plastic samples,
The gold caps and dial were used because they were the most interesting parts the original owner could find. He used a beige core because he had one.

The guy I bought it from was a former AE engineer and he won it in a hand of paystub poker.
This was also auction contest #38 D/P won the contest. I won the phone.

The other clear AE80's that I have seen have more of a smoke tint to the plastic. Sorry it took so long to get some photos taken.

(This phone fits the lack of color portion of the topic)

Jim
( Terry is a good go-to guy for AE questions)
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Very nice Jim. That is the one you snagged 6 months ago or more...and met the guy half way to pick it up? A great deal in hind site since the more recent one went for over 3 times the price!

Jorge: You are using Paul Fassbenders "AE Color Chart" for your color code / color names. I can tell because there are a couple of errors on that list that I keep forgetting to update Paul on.

Code 12 is "Jade Green" in the older AE phones rather than Avocado Green. Jade and Avocado are two different colors, AE just confused everything by calling it 12 - Avocado in some models and 12 - Jade on other models. No individual models were made in both colors, just one or the other. 80's and 90's were made in 12 - Jade Green only.

Code 16 is dark blue, officially known as Colonial Blue  in AE speak.

Code 17 is Sunlight Yellow on 80's and 90's. It is actually identical to Autumn Gold but Autumn Gold was the name used on the more modern sets such as 192 Starlite Wallphones and 981/2 Stylelines. Lemonade is a much lighter yellow normally seen on Stylelines.

Code 19 is Gardenia White on 80's and 90's. While "Basic" White is probably identical, I am not certain which models were supplied in Basic White. Possibly the much newer 80E's.

That's it!

Terry

AET

You should be very proud.  The phone Gods are pleased!
- Tom

Dan

Oh no Jorge, you think you got all the AE80's and someone posts a clear one! ;)

JorgeAmely

Dan:

I think JimS should send it to me to TRULY complete the collection.  ;)

You want to keep the family all together.

Terry:

I think that by adding a few more rows to Paul's chart all variations will be taken care of.
Jorge

Jim Stettler

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 18, 2010, 11:22:55 AM
Dan:

I think JimS should send it to me to TRULY complete the collection.  ;)

You want to keep the family all together.

Jorge,
I wouldn't feel right about sending you this phone. The plastic is non-AE.
It was some sample plastic from a salesman.
The real clear AE80's have a smoke tint to the plastic. The other Clear AE80's I have seen have a beige dial and cords, they also have clear handset caps.
That is the proper Clear AE80 for your collection.

Most clear AE stuff I have seen is beige based. I don't know if that was standard or if beige was the easiest cores to get. The color code on the AE clear sets match the code of the core.

Jim

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

It's an amazing restoration, I would never have thought you'd get that color back.