News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80s and 90s

Started by foots, March 12, 2010, 02:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

I'd say $35 for that painted hook red 90 was a good deal. I've seen decent red AE90's of the newer variety go much higher than that. 

Here are the three types of backs used on AE90's.

First Type is the obviously modified AE80 baseplate including round metal standoffs that the mounting screws go through to fasten it to the wall.

Second is one that I refer to as the "Flat Plate". This came quite quickly after the initial AE 80 plate on the original 90's.

Third is what I refer to as the "Formed Plate". I'm not sure why they changed it again but maybe to be able to use thinner metal while the built in ribs kep it straight.

And a picture of my Turquoise AE90 with painted hookswitch.

Terry Biddlecombe
(AE_Collector)

AE_Collector

Oh all right....here's the second AE 90 base turned over. I know you were all looking at the color code "11" on it. Jorge needs a hobby apparently so he can start his AE 90 collection now.

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on March 20, 2010, 12:58:00 AM
Oh all right....here's the second AE 90 base turned over. I know you were all looking at the color code "11" on it. Jorge needs a hobby apparently so he can start his AE 90 collection now.

Terry

Hey, what is that stand you're using for it?  And why is it sitting on top a Victrola?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Quote from: ae_collector on March 20, 2010, 12:58:00 AM
Jorge needs a hobby apparently so he can start his AE 90 collection now.

Terry

Terry:
My office is a round 12 foot diameter room. I already have 44 phones in it. No space for wall phones.

But the gray AE90 looks tempting. I heard there is a guy in Canada selling them.  ;) ;D
Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on March 20, 2010, 02:36:34 AM

Hey, what is that stand you're using for it?  And why is it sitting on top a Victrola?

Sorry, I can't answer either of your questions. This is the picture that the phones previous owner sent me wnen I purchased it from him.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 20, 2010, 12:23:39 PM

Terry:
My office is a round 12 foot diameter room. I already have 44 phones in it. No space for wall phones.

But the gray AE90 looks tempting. I heard there is a guy in Canada selling them.  ;) ;D

So your 12 foot diameter round office doesn't have 12 (diameter) x (Pii) x 8 (height) = 301.71428 square feet of wall space? Allow 1 square foot of wall space for each 90 and you can fit in 301 AE90's and still have room for a wall Styleline left over.

Terry

Dennis Markham

Terry, see what you did now?  You made me start collecting yet another style of telephone.  Actually I've had a few of these AE90's but not with the painted hook.  I like them and will be on the lookout.  There was a yellow one that finished on eBay the other day for the listed price of $49.99.  It was auction style.  I didn't bid.

I picked up a Green one yesterday at the Mason, MI TCI  show.  I bought it from TCI's Ray Kotke (show organizer).  There is a break in the handset cord near the handset but I should be able to repair that.  Otherwise the plastic is in great shape.

It is currently as marked.....without ringer.

I'll have to look up the code and see what that color is called.

McHeath

Wow Dennis that's a great phone!  Very interesting how they used the baseplate for a desk model to make a wall model, saved money.  The AE 90 does sorta look like a desk phone now that I think about it, that slope for sure gives it a hint of deskiness. 

Never seen one in person, they are seemingly rare in my neck of the woods. 

Phonesrfun

Beautiful phone, Dennis.

Heath:

I live in an area that is a patchwork of old Bell System and GTE territories.  There are more Western Electrics out there in antique stores than AE, but I'd have to say that the ratio around here is that Bell system had about 75% of the population and GTE, which had taken over several smaller independants had about 25%.

Bell had all the big cities and GTE had all the rural and outer-lying suburbs.  That equated at one time to the relative numbers of one versus the other in antique and second hand stores.

Now, with e-bay I think phones are getting kind of re-distributed around the country.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the compliments on the phone.  I didn't go to the show with the intention of buying something like this, meaning I didn't have a want list.  But when I saw this and talked to Ray about it the others ones we'd seen here on the Forum came to mind.  He was busy talking to three people at once so I didn't get any history on it, or if he told me I don't remember, already.  It is in excellent shape.  If he would have told me it was NOS I would have believed him but for the stretched and broken cord.

AET

There's been a few AE's popping up here lately.  608 Area Code, which is ours here, but I also have 608's that are WE.  I've bought 3 AE 80's and a 90 in the last 2 weeks.
- Tom

Dan

Nice buy Dennis. I know yours is soft tenite (1957). I was watching the yellow one, and when I saw he had a buy it now of $49, I bought it. It is April 1959 so hopefully it is soft too. I'll post pics when it comes in.

I think your colour is forest green and mine is called sunny yellow. You have the five hole earpiece instead of six too, which is a sign it is soft.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

Hey Terry, what is the best way to mount these? My back plate is the type one of the examples you have listed. I was thinking of making a wooden template, but if you know a better way, I'd appreciate it.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan, I think Oldphoneworks or Phoneco sells a back plate (plastic) for these that has a modular plug, similar to the modular back plates for the 554's.  I "think" I saw one listed once....I cold be wrong and haven't checked again since I bought this one.

Jim Stettler

The metal 554 backplates retro to these quite easily w/ a couple of screw holes. They also retro to 354's.

Just thought I would mention it.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

Thanks Jim.  I never tried putting one on an AE.  I have put them on the 354 before.  As you said, they work well.