"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80s and 90s

Started by foots, March 12, 2010, 02:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Thanks! I have a few 554 WE that I can switch over to the AE90
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 04, 2010, 11:03:00 PM
Thanks Jim.  I never tried putting one on an AE.  I have put them on the 354 before.  As you said, they work well.

I got some from Gene Coon that had the backplates attatched. He is the one that mentioned they also worked on the 354's. Back then I was selling phones in an antique mall ( to feed the telephone Jones) {early 90's}

Those were the days. $15.00 for an AE 90 w/ new plastics, They were unique around here and sold fast at $60 each. The 90's supported my stall for many a month. Pink and the mint green were the best sellers.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on April 04, 2010, 11:25:18 PM
Thanks! I have a few 554 WE that I can switch over to the AE90
I was buying converted 554's for $3.00 each to get the backplates. I was selling the 554's at shows for $5.00. Talk about a wheeler/dealer (in my time).

it was a fun time,
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Nice JADE GREEN AE90 Dennis!

There was a time that I wanted to get a complete set of painted hook 90's but I figured I better limit it to one of each color while having at least one of each different version to display.

As for mounting them, I believe that the intent was to put screws through those mounting standoff's into the wall. Of course this was WAY before modular jacks. AE did have modular adapter plates that mounted onto the back of the 90 so that it could be put onto an existing wall jack. I am not certain that these plates willl properly and easily attach to 90's with this oldest type of baseplate but obviously it wouldn't be hard to MAKE it work.

I have pictures of 90's with the mounting plate modular adaptor's on them but am not at home where my computer with the pictuires is located. I'll post them here soon.

Dennis...is the handset cord vinyl or rubber? Jorge and I have discussed these old cords a fair bit. I have the matching Jade Green 80 with a black rubber cord that is painted or dyed green. It is beginning to crumble like yours is and it is obvious that is black inside. Jorge's cords on his Colonial Blue 80 are solid colored blue rubber. Your Jade green cord looks to me to be black inside but it is hard to tell in the pictures.

The CXX in the codes on the back indicate that there was no ringer equipped (XX) and Metropolitan Dial (C). And as mentioned previously, the color is "Jade Green" (code 12).

Terry