News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

European Phones

Started by Netdewt, March 16, 2010, 09:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

Any one have a good collection of European phones? I'm interested in Norway (my great x 3 grandfather immigrated to the US from Nissedal, Telemark, Norway in 1853, I also like family history). I'm a fan of German cars and audio gear too. Why not phones?

The only one I've seen here so far is the PTT:

LarryInMichigan

Netdewt,

I like to collect an assortment of different types of phones, and I have several European ones, including this one from Oslo, Norway (with backwards dial):

Kristian Kirks (from Denmark):

Dutch Standard PTT:

Dutch Ericsson PTT:

British GPO:

Telrad (from Israel - based on British GPO):

dsk

Quote from: Netdewt on March 16, 2010, 09:18:56 AM
Any one have a good collection of European phones? I'm interested in Norway (my great x 3 grandfather immigrated to the US from Nissedal, Telemark, Norway in 1853, I also like family history). I'm a fan of German cars and audio gear too. Why not phones?

The only one I've seen here so far is the PTT:

I'm Norwegian, living in Hakadal outside Oslo.
How may I help you?

Link to the Norwegian telemuseum: http://www.telemuseum.no

The PTT has probably not been used in Norway, but the one with Oslo dial was the moast common one in many years. (made 1953-1967 in black)

The Dutch Standard PTT has been used in some offices with PABX from Standard Telefon og Kabelfabikk, later ITT.

dsk

Netdewt

Does the museum have a gallery page? I can't read Norwegian (yet).

EDIT: got it:
http://www.telemuseum.no/joomla/index.php?option=com_datsogallery&Itemid=96&func=viewcategory&catid=9

Always happens to me that something nice shows up on eBay right when I learn about it, but can't buy right then...

Wallphone

Netdewt

Duh... why didn't I think of that.

These just went for $105.

JorgeAmely

Larry:

Your second picture of the phone with the backwards dial gives me a headache every time I look at it.  :(
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

Jorge,

The backwards dial is really quite easy to use.  Just subtract each number, except 0, from 10.  248 becomes 862.  I use it to dial every once in a while.  I should probably tell the next person who asks to use my phone to use that one :)

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry:

That's funny. However, you may be charged with a call to China.

However, it is a very elegant phone. Aren't these the type you could get at Radio Shack many years ago?
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

I know that Radio Shack imported and sold alot of Dutch phones in the late 1970s or early 1980s.  At least one of my Dutch phones probably came to the country that way.  I do not know about the Norwegian ones.

Larry

Netdewt

Quote from: d_s_k on March 16, 2010, 12:23:41 PM

I'm Norwegian, living in Hakadal outside Oslo.
How may I help you?

dsk

Awesome, I'd love to visit Norway someday. Nissedal is pretty much the middle of nowhere, it seems. So I don't know if I will make it there.

dsk

:D those people living in Nissedal don't agree! They know were the midpoint of the universe are! ;)

It is about 175 miles to drive (180 km) to Oslo, and probably 2 or 3 straight sections long enough to pass another car.  :D So it will be about 4-5 hours of driving.

Typical Norwegian roads, not to different from smaller US roads. (I have only been driving in Northern N.Y., and some mountain roads in Ca.

Tourist information for the area:  http://tinyurl.com/ye9vyjx

The best season will probably be August-September.
If you are in to camping, you may put up your tent in the woods far up to 3 days everywere without asking or paying. Firepace not allowed, but stove = OK.

dsk

foots

Hey, nobody mentioned the Heemaf desk phone. Those things are cool looking. I also have a picture of this thing too, I don't know the make but it is European.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Jim Stettler

foots, I really dig the romephone, the color makes it even cooler.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dsk

Quote from: Netdewt on March 16, 2010, 03:50:20 PM
Duh... why didn't I think of that.

These just went for $105.

These made between  1934 and 1953 has even been rare here in Norway.
The left one has a bakelite cradle, and is pre WW2. the later with metallic cradle is newer. Both has a newer dial probably from the 1953 model. The original cords were black cotton covered straight cords. This model was especially designed for Oslo, but has been used other places too. The designers were looking to W.E. designs, and may probably have dial and transmitter element equal to some W.E. phones.

dsk