"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Odd-Ball Black princess farm interphone for radio remote broadcasting w/case

Started by Jim Stettler, March 19, 2010, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

An oddball (long title) set for your enjoyment:

I needed to take some photos of this set for a collector that is in the broadcast industry. I thought the forum would find it interesting.

This set  has a lot of things going for it that qualifies it as odd-ball.

This seems to be a shop engineered set.
It is mounted inside the case.
When I first got it I removed the phone to check the model #. It is an "interphone"
ISTR it is a " Farm" interphone vs "home" interphone.

The sticker gives directions. If you open it in a new window I think you should be able to read it (somewhat).

The 2 grey boxes are a remote ringer and a remote headphone  jack.

The mod jack was added later and looks end-user done. I think this was done as a modular line adaptor.

An interphone is basically a 2-line set.
1 line is the phone and the other is an intercom. The white plunger is an exclusion plunger.

Apparently this was used by a radio station for remote broadcasts.

The phone set-up is from Northwestern Bell.

The FM Station was "KPAT" in Sioux Falls. (stereo 97).

The handset dates are 3-72, ISTR that the base dates match as well.
This has extra-long screws that go from the case thru the base and into the housing.

Enjoy,
Jim

I will be gone for most of the week. I will disassemble it for some more (and better) photos when I return.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

Interesting.

Let us know what you find out.  In a way, it looks like something that was rigged up from a 2-line Princess.

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 19, 2010, 08:58:15 PM
Interesting.

Let us know what you find out.  In a way, it looks like something that was rigged up from a 2-line Princess.

I have check the # in the past. It is from an interphone, not a 2 line set. An interphone is slightly different. I think the # indicated "Farm" interphone vs "Home" Interphone.
A 2-line princess is scarce, a home interphone princess is scarcer and a farm interphone is even scarcer.
Looking at Paul F's charts I think it is the 2712 B,  which is a farm interphone w/3a (speakerphone) connections. Considering it is also a black Princess, and the whole package is intended for remote radio broadcasts.
It sums up the term, "Oddball" quite nicely. I will dissect it when i return.

JMO,
Jim

You live, You learn,

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 19, 2010, 09:18:04 PM
Whatever you do, don't cut the Red wire first. :o :o :o
D/P
Thats why I think it was rigged locally instead of a factory configuration. The lamp cord mod conversion was probably a customer "improvement".

This set has so many odd things in it favor that I decided I needed it.  I have had it for a few years. It is probably my most oddball set.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 19, 2010, 09:18:04 PM
Whatever you do, don't cut the Red wire first. :o :o :o
D/P
From what I can tell you need to "pull" the plunger first. :D

Jim
You live, You learn,

gpo706

Reminds me of these, the 704 could probably do the same function through the 2 amplifier jacks you see on the left of the ringing switch, mines connects to a speaker originally used in an exchange - 50V AC supply.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t704.htm
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

jsowers

Jim, I'm not familiar with the Farm model, but the Home Interphone used a U1 receiver capsule mounted inside the base of the phone as a mike. Princesses, 500 types and 554 types meant for Home Interphone service were all equipped this way in the early 60s. The speaker part was mounted on the wall in a separate box. The turnkey selected either the outside line or the inside intercom. The mounting cord was huge on those phones. I have a 511X that was equipped this way and I think maybe in Princesses it was only done to 711s since Paul's site doesn't mention 712s with the Home Interphone. By 1972, I think the Home Interphone project was pretty much over, though some may have still been using it. I'm not sure about the Farm one. I've seen ads, but I'm not sure how different it was from the home model.

Is what you have a 712B? You mentioned 2712B, and that would be the touch-tone version. From looking at the outside, it does look like a 712B that somebody modified to use out in the field for a radio station. What did your dissection reveal?
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

Quote from: jsowers on March 22, 2010, 03:44:59 PM
Jim, I'm not familiar with the Farm model, but the Home Interphone used a U1 receiver capsule mounted inside the base of the phone as a mike. Princesses, 500 types and 554 types meant for Home Interphone service were all equipped this way in the early 60s. The speaker part was mounted on the wall in a separate box. The turnkey selected either the outside line or the inside intercom. The mounting cord was huge on those phones. I have a 511X that was equipped this way and I think maybe in Princesses it was only done to 711s since Paul's site doesn't mention 712s with the Home Interphone. By 1972, I think the Home Interphone project was pretty much over, though some may have still been using it. I'm not sure about the Farm one. I've seen ads, but I'm not sure how different it was from the home model.

Is what you have a 712B? You mentioned 2712B, and that would be the touch-tone version. From looking at the outside, it does look like a 712B that somebody modified to use out in the field for a radio station. What did your dissection reveal?

I have a 712B, The 2712B was a typo. I have seen 1 working home interphone set-up. It was 5 stations, 3 were 500's, 1 was a princess and the 5th was a panel phone.

The box you are describing is a door interphone (I think)

These were 2 line sets with a 4 button adjunct mounted to the base. The buttons were for signalling. They used the "door interphone" mounted next to the panel phone. This may of been a field trial set-up .

I think the difference between home and farm interphones was the exclusion plunger for use w/ 3a speakerphone.

On my 712B the turn key aslo depresses for signalling. I don't think this feature was used on this set-up.

The first photo shows the mounting of the phone. They drilled holes thru the case, mounted 3/16" foam rubber inside and then screwed the phone directly inside.

The next photo shows the dyno lables on the housing.

#3 is under the hood

The phone is all 72 except for the housing it is a 66 and the hole appears to be shop drilled vs factory molded.

The 2 grey boxes are an external ringer and a broadcast Mic Jack.

The way it is wired I would have to disconnect wires to remove it from the carry case.

This was originally set up for use with a 4 prong jack and a Banana jack mounting cord, Someone added the mod jack later. I suspect the original cord was long.

The Dial is marked KSOO which is the AM station

The dial lamp is still in place, but I doubt if it was used.

The tie down strap appears to be from some old military equitment .

Jim
You live, You learn,

jsowers

Jim, that really is an unusual Princess.

I found a few things in my picture archives on the Home and Farm Interphone systems and I apologize for the pictures of the BSPs instead of scans. I must have been in a hurry when I took those.  The first picture is out of a small sales booklet that shows the boxes mounted on the wall inside and outside. Those boxes (used as speakers) were mounted next to every phone for hands-free communication. Love that Corning Ware (which was new then). The next four show the Farm Interphone setup and the last two show the Home Interphone sets and their internal mikes.

If you would like scans of these, and a few other pages I left out, I can make some. I also have scans of the booklet showing how to use the Home Interphone from 2/64 if anyone is interested.
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

Jonathan,
Scans are always appreciated. I am a documentation junkie. Remco will host just about any Telephone related info on his site.

I think the interphone setup I saw was a field trial set-up. I beleive it was set up with 2-line phones and adjunct signal buttons.

It would be really bneat to have a working interphone set-up. I used to have some of the speaker units in the olive grey.

Jim
You live, You learn,