OUCH!!!!!

Started by Doug Rose, March 21, 2010, 10:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

eBay 110509754087. This is a darn shame....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Is it just the line cord?
I would get with Dennis, and see if his friend could repair it back to close to normal.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

That phone would make a great lamp ;)

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 21, 2010, 12:01:39 PM
Is it just the line cord?
I would get with Dennis, and see if his friend could repair it back to close to normal.
D/P

It's just amazing how someone could ruin such a desirable phone. Even if Mark Scola could repair this, it would never be the real deal. Such a shame....Doug
Kidphone

baldopeacock

on the bright side, even though the case is mortally wounded it would still polish up well, has nice cords, and would display very well - just don't let the back side show.  Probably works just fine.   Better to have a wounded Old Rose original than none at all?   

savageje

According to the Dennis McDonald (the A1Telephone guy on YouTube), Vise-Grip made a specialized set of pliers for nipping out those modular port openings in older phones.  It pains me to think about all the phones that got mutilated that way.  Kind of a crime to do that to a 302 (especially a colored one).  But I can think of far worse kinds of damage.  Even if it can't be repaired, it will still display well.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: savageje on March 29, 2010, 09:37:55 PM
According to the Dennis McDonald (the A1Telephone guy on YouTube), Vise-Grip made a specialized set of pliers for nipping out those modular port openings in older phones.  It pains me to think about all the phones that got mutilated that way.  Kind of a crime to do that to a 302 (especially a colored one).  But I can think of far worse kinds of damage.  Even if it can't be repaired, it will still display well.
The original Notch pliers were modified vise grips, they had a later issue that was a sleeker design.
Soft plastic phones tended to crack when notched, and the tool was never intended for tenite. I was told a lot of installers started using dikes to notch sets vs the tool. They also used dikes when putting new plastics on early 1554 (for notching the top vol. control wheel)

I used to have the tools and template. I sold them to a telephone tool collector.

I did try out the notch tool on a damaged ITT 554 housing, I did a dozen notches for practice. The notch tool, destroys the filler piece, once notched you cannot glue the pieces back in.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.