and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE34 project

Started by finlover, March 28, 2010, 12:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Quote from: finlover on March 28, 2010, 04:47:13 PM
Quote from: Kidphone on March 28, 2010, 03:55:30 PM
Greg.....utterly amazing. I don't think I'd be complaining about the shine on that bakelite. Looks perfect to me. great job....Doug
Thank you, Doug!  You are the authority on older phones around here so your approval makes me happy ;D.  Jorge pointed out that the brass trim on this phone probably left the factory painted black, but people subsequently stripped it off and polished the brass behind it.  AE ads only mention chrome and gold plated appointments.  Oh well, maybe someday I'll have the parts gilded, but for now it's close enough for government work.
Greg....Jorge is correct, no phone left the factories in just brass, they were painted or nickled. The scuttlebut is that people didn't like the feel of brass. Myself, I love the look of brass once it settles into a nice patina. It looks wonderful when shined up , but is really to tough to keep up with when you get a few. I shine mine to the best shine I can get and let it go natural after. You are doing top notch work, more than equal to what Frank does....Doug
Kidphone

Craig T

That is one heck of a car phone! I like the brass rings on these, you did a great job on the bottom too. That is one classy looking phone, another great finish Greg!

finlover

Quote from: Craig T on March 28, 2010, 09:56:25 PM
That is one heck of a car phone! I like the brass rings on these, you did a great job on the bottom too. That is one classy looking phone, another great finish Greg!
Thanks, Craig-o!  I work at a musical instrument store, so I was lucky to have the advice of a horn repairman on how to polish and clear coat the brass parts.  Once I sanded the bottom of the phone, painting it was a snap, then I put on a reproduction gasket and decal.

I really love the streamlined look of this phone, even if the brass trim isn't correct.  Just like with cars, phones don't really get my blood going until the '30s, when the styling became more fluid and sculptural rather than purely functional.

finlover

I was talking to a friend of mine in the plating business and he's willing to gold plate the trim pieces for me! :D  I've never seen an AE with gold trim before--should it have a polished, brushed or satin finish?

JorgeAmely

Greg:

It should be like in this phone. This phone sold on ebay for around $2500 about 2 years ago. Notice that the finish is not shiny at all. They call it 24 carat Gold Satin Finish. For some reason the plungers are still chromed. I can't remember, but the number seven microns for thickness resonates in my brain. The finger stop is fully plated all around, even the finger wheel is plated where the sun don't shine.  

Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: finlover on March 29, 2010, 06:19:11 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine in the plating business and he's willing to gold plate the trim pieces for me! :D  I've never seen an AE with gold trim before--should it have a polished, brushed or satin finish?

My guess would be satin. I think they called it gold matte didn't they? Definitely not polished. Find out if he is interested in doing more plating of AE phone parts....and what it would cost. I'm sure there are others who would like to have some parts plated in gold matte.

And YES....black bakelite AE sets were offered with nickel plate or gold matte, just like the colored AE sets. Only difference is the colored sets were ONLY available with metal handset trim where as black bakelite sets frequently didn't come with metal handset trim (40, 50's) or black painted brass (1, 2, 34, 35 etc).

Terry Biddlecombe

finlover

Thanks for the info, guys--you are awesome!!  My friend does custom gold and silver plating on brass instruments.  He even does rose gold, which has a coppery look to it.  I'll find out if he can do a satin finish.  I know he does a brushed and polished for sure.  I think a satin finish requires the parts to be bead blasted before they're plated.  Worst case, he could do a polished finish and I could satin clear coat the parts.  That wouldn't be ideal, but that's what they do with brass instruments.

Jim Stettler

I have heard some Navy ship phones were factory Brass trim . Steve Hilzs would probably know for sure.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

Another super job finlover!  The AE's from the 30's certainly have a lot of style eh?  Is this phone heavy, it certainly looks to be. 

finlover

Quote from: McHeath on March 29, 2010, 11:46:08 PM
Another super job finlover!  The AE's from the 30's certainly have a lot of style eh?  Is this phone heavy, it certainly looks to be. 
Thanks, McHeath!  You're right--this phone's bakelite construction and massive ringer make for one heavy beast--it's way heavier than a '50s 500.  And the lack of a handle makes it even more of a handful!

JorgeAmely

Fin:

A self respecting 500 is almost 5 pounds including mounting cord. How is this one?
Jorge

ntophones

Beautiful job!
Say, how did you clear coat the brass?
Also, please refresh my memory--you use a carnuba wax, don't you.
Just beautiful. I think that may be my favorite phone.
--nto

finlover

Thank you, Sir!  I used a clear lacquer designed for brass instruments, but I would think any gloss clear would be fine.  However, anal retentive that I am, I wanted the correct finish on the trim, so I'm having the pieces sandblasted and gold plated.  I'll post pics as soon as it's ready.

You're right, I used a non-abrasive carnauba wax on the bakelite.  I agree with you--the 34 has an awesome design!  I've come to like it even more than the 40, which has a lot to do with that killer handset!

AET

You're killing me.  I'm a big land-yacht guy almost always, but I'd LOVE to have a Smokey and the Bandit T/A. 
- Tom

finlover

10-4, Good Buddy!  I know they're tacky, but I'd love to own one too.  A T/A is pure testosterone on wheels!