News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

That's Two - Another Phone To Collect

Started by Dennis Markham, April 04, 2010, 03:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Back in November of 2009 I obtained a very nice pink Stromberg Carlson 1543W.  I posted some photos here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1810.msg24070

About that time Larry purchased one in black, seen here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1888.msg25097#msg25097

A list of suffix codes for the S.C. can be found here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1005.msg12207#msg12207

Yesterday at the Mason show I saw a red one.  I really like the look of the wider front end on this thing.  It kind of reminds me of one of those "low rider" cars that people have modified.

This one is marked a bit differently as it reads 1543W Special.  It didn't have a mounting cord but if you look close at the bottom in the little window one can read SL.  So I'm thinking it has a straight line.  My pink one has 30 in the window and does not ring.  So probably a 30Hz ringer.  As I said this one is in good shape.  The collector wanted $40 for it and I paid it without dickering.

That's two............

Craig T

I like the low sweeping look on the front of these ones. It makes for a classy design. Did you buy the phone that shiny too?

The thick finger wheel is another nice touch. Great phones Dennis!

Dennis Markham

I might have hit the red one with some Novus, but just to touch it up and get all the finger prints and sticker (price tag) residue off...I didn't take it apart.  Often when I buy something at the phone show I don't always look or see things as closely as I do once I get it home.  It wouldn't be the first time I bought a cracked phone.  So when I cleaned up this red one I held my breath.  Fortunately, no cracks or damage.  Thanks Craig.

bwanna

i like the looks of these as well. nice find, dennis.....i knew you would buy something  ;)

how was the show otherwise? i have been waiting for one of you guys to post some photos.
donna

Dennis Markham

The ball is in my court to post some pictures.  I will do that.  I only have a couple but DougPav sent me a couple of his.  I will get a few on soon.  It's been a busy day and I'm just catching up on things now after 11:00PM.  If I don't get them on tonight I'll get them on first thing in the AM.

bwanna

ok, dennis....we'll cut you some slack since it's a holiday.  ;D
donna

paul-f

Nice phones, Dennis.

The variation you have is technically a 1586.  It was a reaction to WE's 500 set, before SC licensed the design.  There don't seem to be many that came from the factory marked 1586.  Most were converted in the field using the "ROK-1586 Conversion and Refurbishing" kits that were available through distributors.  Therefore the model numbers on the bottom rarely were updated to match the phone's new status.

The kits contained a housing, handset handle, receiver cap, transmitter cap, handset cord, dial number plate assembly, line cord, transmitter cup assembley, handset cord clamp, spring, hardware and instruction sheet.

Colors included ivory, red, yellow, black, white, blue, pink, beige, turquoise, green and gray.

http://www.paul-f.com/500style.html#SC1586

Collect 'em all!

I grew up near the SC factory in Rochester, and my parents had a black 1543 (pre-conversion) in their bedroom.  It was one of the first models I collected and has always been a favorite.  Unfortunately I didn't start collecting phones until long after moving away.  One can only wonder what I might have found there.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

Thank you, Paul for that information.  I do like that wide look on the front as it is something different.  It is relatively a heavy phone and seems to be well constructed.  What was the time-frame for these conversions?  The yellow one shown on your site looks nice.  I'm going to have to watch for one of those........ :)

foots

Dennis, I passed on 2 of these in the last year or so and they were pretty cheap. Both were black however.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Paul has answered my question from the other thread.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 05, 2010, 11:13:09 AM
<snip> What was the time-frame for these conversions? 

SC (and others) weren't as thorough at dating everything as WE was, but you can guess the time frame by the color palette.  They track WE's pastel colors, so are late 50s at the earliest and probably early to mid 60s (with turquoise).
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

McHeath

Nice looking pair of phones Dennis.  They look like the older brother of the 500, a little better fed. :)  I've never seen any of them here, but I rarely see anything non WE in my area.

Kenny C

i saw a black one for 60 dollars in gatlinburg but it was different it had chopped edges.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

Kenny,

The SC 1543 originally had 'cut corners'.  Take a look at http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1888.msg25235 for a previous discussion including some pictures.

SC 1543s appear frequently on ebay, and you should be able to find one for well under $60.  I paid $4.20 for each of the first two and $1.99 for the third.

Larry

Kenny C

oh good it had a 1952 date i think correct me if I am wrong but i think so
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010