News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dang telephone bug bit me again

Started by foots, April 04, 2010, 11:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

Well, I've gone and done it again. I just recently got my SC 1248 and haven't even got to work on it yet and now I've gone and got another crank phone, this time a Leich I'd been watching for a while. I only took the plunge after contacting the seller about my concerns of the phone getting destroyed during shipping and the seller was aware of this and assured me that it will be very well packaged. Here are a few of the auction pictures of my unknown model Leich telephone.

"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Phonesrfun

Be careful when opening that Leich, I hear it's full of bees!

Nice find.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Referencing my last post.  I don't know the model number but it is known as the Leich "beehive" phone for obvious reasons
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Make sure to tell the shipper to wrap, double wrap, and triple wrap this in bubble wrap, and then box and double box!!!

They are made of very brittle bakelite and the magneto is very heavy.  I have heard absolute horror stories of this model phone being shipped by some yokel and having it arrive in absolutly unrepairable pieces.

This is no joke.

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Nice find foots,
That phone was avaliable as a desk set, or like yours, with the Beehive base.

I used to have a couple of them.

Early on these were a favorite of mine. I never did get the desk style. Now I am holding out for the desk style in clear. (they did make them).
I haven't ever seen the beehive style in clear, I would try to buy one if I ever do come across a clear one.

I have a Novelty christmas variation of the desk style. I still think the design is neat.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bwanna

very cool, joshua. to echo bill's thoughts, do not be bashful about advising the seller on packing method. buy the shipping insurance too. will look forward to hearing about it when you get it.  :)
donna

AE_Collector

I think that the desk phone portion is a Leich 70. The Magneto add-on is something like a model 26?

Roger Conklin knows these sets well. He explained the model numbers to me once but I can't remember the details now. I think he said that they refered to them as a 96 being the sum of 70 & 26.

Terry

foots

Quote from: ae_collector on April 05, 2010, 02:24:22 PM
I think that the desk phone portion is a Leich 70. The Magneto add-on is something like a model 26?

Roger Conklin knows these sets well. He explained the model numbers to me once but I can't remember the details now. I think he said that they refered to them as a 96 being the sum of 70 & 26.

Terry

I've done a good deal of searching and have found very little info on Leich, Stromberg Carlson, Federal Electric and Radio, Connecticut Telephone and Electric ect... so every little bit I come across helps. I wonder what part(s) of the country would this phone have been originally installed in. I see a lot of Stromberg Carlsons from New York for instance, as a matter of fact all 3 that I own have come from New York.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"